Just picked up the custom AR build I've been waiting on for over a year and a half...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Use the 271, or 269 red locktite.

Great, thanks! I'm going to get some as soon as I finish posting.

how much ( if you dont mind me asking) did you spend on this?

I am intrigued that you were not told what parts make up your rifle. The Gas block was not correctly installed? It took over a year to get? I have a sneaking suspicion someone may have taken you to the cleaners on this.....

I'll just be honest, around $2400. . .he disputes $400 of the money I gave him but I have receipts and he said he's willing to admit to being incorrect on the amount if I show him the proof (yeah, we'll see). That was for a much better gun than this though, and it included the 2200x 5.56, a CMMG (I believe) .22 kit, .22 drum mag, grip pod, X300 light, aimpoint with flip over magnifer (which I'm swapping back for, along with that stock), supposedly a good trigger and now that I really think about it I do believe it was supposed to have the Daniel Defense lower. Oh, I also got 12 30rnd windowed pmags and the mbus popups (pictured). Awhile back, like 8-12 months ago, while the rest of my parts were supposedly "back ordered", he let me take "my" lower home just to have something. I actually have a pretty clear pic of it I can upload once my phone turns back on. It had a strange white logo on it, a lot looked like a gear with some patterns inside, hard to describe. Anyway, it didn't say much on the lower. It did say ARFCOM somewhere there so it was something group-buy related I assume? If anyone knows the make of the upper I described before I get a pic up, please let me know :)

I'm moving from my shop to my warm house where my sick pup is real quick, and then I'll continue replying for a bit.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awhile back, like 8-12 months ago, while the rest of my parts were supposedly "back ordered", he let me take "my" lower home just to have something. I actually have a pretty clear pic of it I can upload once my phone turns back on. It had a strange white logo on it, a lot looked like a gear with some patterns inside, hard to describe. Anyway, it didn't say much on the lower. It did say ARFCOM somewhere there so it was something group-buy related I assume? If anyone knows the make of the upper I described before I get a pic up, please let me know :)

I'm moving from my shop to my warm house where my sick pup is real quick, and then I'll continue replying for a bit.

Is this the lower?

AR15.com Forged Lower Receiver
[Broken External Image]

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This happens every few years or so when new guys get into ARs and start thinking they're good enough to put one together and sell to someone else. That gun very much looks like a spare parts gun (Std M4 Stock, grip, A2 Flash-hider, flat-trigger guard, no-name railed-gas block, etc. all look like take-off or left-over parts) and it sounds like it wasn't put together very well. The Trijicon Reflex is a decent optic, but it's overpriced if you ask me and large/clunky for what it is. They make plenty of good optics, but the Reflex has never been my first choice.

Pull the sights and check to see if they're Magpul or Airsoft clones. If they have a "PTS" on the front of the sights, then they're Magpul's airsoft/training versions, but there are Chinese clones out there all over:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_109/893596_.html&page=1

If your gas-block was loose, then it's obviously never been function-checked / shot. I'd want to know exactly who made my barrel if I was buying a custom-built AR (is it new/used, how was it made/rifled, is it chrome-lines, M4 extensions, etc.).

Also, does the upper have M4 Feedramps and does the barrel-extension? Not that it's critical, but I wonder if the reason you originally had barrel problems is that the barrel does not and the upper did (that will cause you problems). Check the Bolt and see if it's a fully shrouded carrier or not (and if the gas-key is properly staked).

The old reliable Officer's Forum thread is actually very educational (despite the butt-hurt that referencing items from the Chart causes):

http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?81462-So-you-want-to-buy-an-AR-15-huh

When I ordered the rifle I was actually very active with the process. We just got on his computer and went to midway and brownells (he has his ffl so we were able to order almost everything there) and went through my options for everything, but I never skimped on parts. Like I said, I'm thinking we finally settled on either the Spike's or Daniel Defense lower. I think on the flash hider he just showed me one of his rifles with each different style and I picked what I liked. I do agree that a lot of this build is not what I ordered and I believe we will potentially find the the parts I ordered but I'm not going to hold my breath, I just have to wait until I can go out to Hominy to pick it up to find out...

Gas block issue has now happened multiple times. I'm thinking each time it's fired, especially when aggressively, it's basically hammering on that block and moving it down the barrel. Last time it happened the screws still felt tight and even the gas block was on there pretty good but the gas block had moved like 3/8" or so down the barrel. Hoping loktite and being a little more aggressive when I tighten it (I've messed with enough small, allen-headed stuff enough to know when I'm going to break something) take care of the problem.

I don't know how to identify the M4 feedramps, barrel extension, or really much else on the rifle. I have a camera handy though and know how to separate the upper and lower and operate everything, so if anyone can please give me answers will thoroughly describe what/how they need something photographed I will post it right up.

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, but the big logo was white. What is that lower then? I know the stock on there was the CAA 6-point with the battery chamber, and I'm getting that for my gun when I get out there to..

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.ar15armory.com_forums_uploads_1261875082_med_gallery_256_101_104012.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom