Just picked up the custom AR build I've been waiting on for over a year and a half...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Read those links I posted. Especially this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOJHzzauJYw&

Education is the key to not getting taken advantage of via gun parts. Since no one else has asked it, I will: Who sold you that rifle?

I'll read them for sure, and I appreciate you posting them. Hopefully I have time to do that at work today. Sorry, but I don't feel comfortable disclosing this guy's name on here until I've gotten the rest of my parts. He doesn't regularly build/sell guns except for himself and friends most of the time, so I don't think I'm putting any other potential suckers at risk, and if word got back to him that I've been bitching about and bad mouthing him he'll likely ignore me for another year +.

If it's someone you think you know, PM me and we'll chat there about it.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll read them for sure, and I appreciate you posting them. Hopefully I have time to do that at work today. Sorry, but I don't feel comfortable disclosing this guy's name on here until I've gotten the rest of my parts. He doesn't regularly build/sell guns except for himself and friends most of the time, so I don't think I'm putting any other potential suckers at risk, and if word got back to him that I've been bitching about and bad mouthing him he'll likely ignore me for another year +.

If it's someone you think you know, PM me and we'll chat there about it.

If he is building/selling guns he had better have a Manufacturing FFL, not just a Dealer FFL.

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If he is building/selling guns he had better have a Manufacturing FFL, not just a Dealer FFL.

:thumb: Who would one call to report this? And is it per chance a felony?

This might be just what I need to get him to make things right with me. As far as I'm concerned, threatening to turn him in (once I've verified his FFL type) is justified and not a 'narc' move in this type of situation because it's a significantly more appropriate act than him ripping me off so bad. $1050 of the money I gave him was actually from trade because he wanted my camera/lenses/flashes (which I would really like to have back, and maybe paying him the $1050 to actually get that all back if he ever makes things right with my rifle. If it comes down to it, I'll end up getting my camera setup and cash back and throw the damn rifle out the window while I'm driving away.

(Actually, with this guy's temper and attitude, I'd probably be shot through my rear window while driving away if I did that)

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow. I'm not really sure what advice to give now. This has gone from bad to worse to wtf. I really hope it works out for you and I hope this is a learning experience not just for you but to all who read this.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel really bad for you. When you 1st posted this thread, I almost chimed in, but held back. Telling a man he got hosed is never a good feeling. But, dude he f#@ked you pretty bad. That AR is about a $600-700 build for anyone on here with any knowledge. The railed forend isn't even a free float. That gas block is **** and you'll always have problems with it. The only way to maybe keep it in place is to dimple the barrel where the set screws are and use red loctite. A gas block takes high heat and pressure. Stuff like that just doesn't hold. Pop open the legs on the grip pod and see it they’re metal lined. If not, it’s a Chi-Com knockoff regardless of what the package says. There was a guy the other day on M4C selling real deal GripPods for $55 each. The Reflex sight is about a $300 item, whereas an Aimpoint with magnifier and FTS mount is about $800-1000 as a package. The ammo would run you about $750.

So, let’s say $700 for the AR, $300 for the Reflex, $100 for the GripPod (if it’s real) and $750 for the 2,200 rounds of ammo. That’s $1850 for the package as shown. That’s looking to me like he got into your pocket for about $550 worth of stuff you never got. I hope you can get him to make this right. You definitely don’t owe him another $400! Absolutely nothing he used on your build was high end and like someone else said, this is what a spare parts gun would look like.

Forgot to add $150 for the .22 conversion and $200 for the X300 IF you get it from him.

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel really bad for you. When you 1st posted this thread, I almost chimed in, but held back. Telling a man he got hosed is never a good feeling. But, dude he f#@ked you pretty bad. That AR is about a $600-700 build for anyone on here with any knowledge. The railed forend isn't even a free float. That gas block is **** and you'll always have problems with it. The only way to maybe keep it in place is to dimple the barrel where the set screws are and use red loctite. A gas block takes high heat and pressure. Stuff like that just doesn't hold. Pop open the legs on the grip pod and see it they’re metal lined. If not, it’s a Chi-Com knockoff regardless of what the package says. There was a guy the other day on M4C selling real deal GripPods for $55 each. The Reflex sight is about a $300 item, whereas an Aimpoint with magnifier and FTS mount is about $800-1000 as a package. The ammo would run you about $750.

So, let’s say $700 for the AR, $300 for the Reflex, $100 for the GripPod (if it’s real) and $750 for the 2,200 rounds of ammo. That’s $1850 for the package as shown. That’s looking to me like he got into your pocket for about $550 worth of stuff you never got. I hope you can get him to make this right. You definitely don’t owe him another $400! Absolutely nothing he used on your build was high end and like someone else said, this is what a spare parts gun would look like.

Yeah, and sadly this guy is an old frat brother and once (before all this, mainly) we were really good friends. It's pretty ****ty when someone like that who you're supposed to be able to trust screws you over. I actually became an inactive member of the frat after one semester bc that's just not my lifestyle. Loved the parties (that weren't at my place off campus) but hated the pointless chapter meetings (there's a fine for missing) and cleaning the FRAT HOUSE that I didn't even live in or hangout at much at all (also a fine for missing that) so I just quit after gaining full membership and making a few good friends. But since I made it through hell week and became a member, there's a code used to indicate absolute honesty and integrity about what you say and do. Either I will invoke that (as lame as it probably sounds) or have a mutual friend, that's also a frat alum but who has known him longer, call and do it since he has more "clout" at the frat. . .Really I'm not sure what to do though. I may end up trying to get my $2400 back (plus I will get to keep the aimpoint w/ 3x flip over, Ergo-n grip I bought the other day, sling and sling mount I bought the other day, and the grip pod), buy my camera back, and start fresh...

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't see the feed ramps perfectly, but i believe they are wrong. Looks like the picture on page 2 where it's a rifle extention with an m4 receiver.

That lower receiver looks super crappy.. Sorry, what they did is what is called color fill, but did a ****** job at it. I've done it to three lowers and a glock .40 slide. All came out better than that. I see he left a lot of white paint around the symbols which makes the lower look lighter around the symbols because of the white paint.

I hope you get this resolved, stuff like this is unacceptable. Especially someone taking your money like that.

:(

Luckily that ARFCOM lower was returned to him and I at least got the DPMS without the horrible color fill, but I still obviously want what I ordered.

I'll let you know if I ever get things settled, I'm out of town all weekend for that NRA Pistol Instructors Course but next week I hope to make something happen (like getting the correct parts, or a FULL refund).

Latest posts

Top Bottom