Just picked up the custom AR build I've been waiting on for over a year and a half...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the sympathy, guys. If somehow I talk him into giving me my ~$1600 cash and my camera and lenses and everything, I'm thinking I might build one myself as much as possible. I know there are special tools necessary (although I'm curious as to how an inexpensive but functional kit would cost me) for head spacing and there's the wrench for the nut on the buffer tube (what's that piece actually called? Buffer tube nut?). And I'll be getting to keep the whole aimpoint serup, the grip pod and the ergo grips. Also keeping the ammo I think. Would $1600, if all done myself, get me a pretty legitimate rifle? Or can someone give me a basic breakdown of what different price ranges would get me what type of setup? $1600 plus at least if possible please!

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no headspacing during assembly for AR's. Headspace is set by the barrel manufacturer when they mate the barrel to the barrel extension.

The wrench you are talking about is an armorers wrench, lots of people here have them and will lone you one, it does more than just the buffer tube, they run about $25.

At current prices you can build a solid rifle for $1600

The top rifle I just finished for my wife, the bottom rifle I built a few years ago when parts were still over priced, either one minus the optic and sights can be done around your budget price, I think the one with FDE furniture was right around $1750 including the optic(just a bushnell but it's been solid), and a single point sling not in the picture.

The one for my wife started as a stripped receiver set from MEGA, the lower parts kit and ergo grip are rock river armory, the stock is an ace skeleton, barrel is a chrome lined daniel defense 1/7 twist, troy industries medieval muzzle brake, spikes enhanced bolt bolt carrier group, yankee hill quad rail, etc.

I took so long building it piece by piece I don't remember what I had in it but it's less than 1600.

The bottom rifle started as a stock cmmg upper and a stripped roggio arsenal lower I built.

i114.photobucket.com_albums_n261_bettingpython_IMG_0320.jpg

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Read up and watch some DIY videos and build your own. I just finished my first upper and will be building a lower soon. Very simple design and easy to build yourself. You should invest in some tools but that is pretty much a one-time deal, I think I spent about $125 - $150 and have everything I need (already had a beam type torque wrench).

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no headspacing during assembly for AR's. Headspace is set by the barrel manufacturer when they mate the barrel to the barrel extension.

The wrench you are talking about is an armorers wrench, lots of people here have them and will lone you one, it does more than just the buffer tube, they run about $25.

At current prices you can build a solid rifle for $1600

The top rifle I just finished for my wife, the bottom rifle I built a few years ago when parts were still over priced, either one minus the optic and sights can be done around your budget price, I think the one with FDE furniture was right around $1750 including the optic(just a bushnell but it's been solid), and a single point sling not in the picture.

The one for my wife started as a stripped receiver set from MEGA, the lower parts kit and ergo grip are rock river armory, the stock is an ace skeleton, barrel is a chrome lined daniel defense 1/7 twist, troy industries medieval muzzle brake, spikes enhanced bolt bolt carrier group, yankee hill quad rail, etc.

I took so long building it piece by piece I don't remember what I had in it but it's less than 1600.

The bottom rifle started as a stock cmmg upper and a stripped roggio arsenal lower I built.

i114.photobucket.com_albums_n261_bettingpython_IMG_0320.jpg

Thanks for the info! I think I might do this. I might even ditch the aimpoint in the classifieds here and buy something I'd be more happy with, like a true acog with trijicon reticle and fixed magnification on a flip over mount plus pop up irons like I have now. Or at least something similar to that aimpoint setup but maybe newer or with different reticle.

for the record I did not build this gun. but if u need tiols I have sime u can use

Thanks a lot guys! I'm trying to straighten things out as far as getting my money back but I'll definitely take you up on borrowing those tools once I get things together! I'll let you know once I get to a point where I need them. Are their typically any marking or identifying information on the upper or barrel as to brand/whether it's chrome lined? And what tools would be needed to access anything potentially identifying? In a roundabout way I asked the brand of upper/barrel and said I thought we'd ordered something like a DD or Spikes lower. Haven't heard back yet, but if I piss him off it's unlikely I will ever hear from him again.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For $1600 (or was it $2400?) dollars you can buy a complete, reliable rifle from a reputable manufacturer and not worry about quality, customer service, and 'maybe I'll get my money' back issues.

IMHO, as a beginner to the AR world, I'd suggest you buy a decent factory AR, then spend the rest of the money on ammo and a weekend long training class...shoot the piss out of the rifle, see how it performs and then decide based on practical application and experience what kind of gizmos and tacti-cool do-dads you want to add to it. In the end you'll spend about as much money and be way farther down the road........

Good luck.

wylekyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I paid $1400 cash plus an agreed trade amount on my camera (for which he damaged a good lens) so I'm hoping that I can get a reasonable amount of money back in return for the rifle. He has already stated he would give me my money back but we were disagreeing on the amount of cash I'd given him (I have receipts for ATM withdrawals in the town where he lives, and the only time I took money out there was to pay him and he knows that.)

I've shot enough AR's to have a good idea of what I want, I am just a little unsure on my optic because I've only gotten to really use an Eotech and this trijicon reflex (and iron sights, obviously), so I'm a little undecided there but I plan on using the aimpoint w/ 3x flip over magnifier to help me decide whether I want magnification (and how much of it) as well as the reticle type that I would prefer. I really, really like the Eotechs but I anticipate using a magnifier a good deal of the time so I just need to get it figured out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom