Lankford proposes changing Columbus Day with Juneteenth Day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's pretty much it for me. I really thought they'd changed Columbus Day to Indigenous People's day; maybe not officially but a lot of places called it that.
And I support having a Juneteenth holiday, that seems like something we should celebrate.

The point for me is that it wasn't an issue until the mob started breaking glass and looting, now we have to cave to the spoiled children, which I believe are really pawns in a much bigger cause.

Well, we have to be mindful that without Juneteenth, and the event that it celebrates, our modern culture wouldn't even resemble what it does now. So, making it a national holiday, and recognizing how America benefits so much from the descendants of slaves that were freed, as the result of a victorious Union. (the Emancipation Proclamation only "freed" slaves in the Confederacy, so was of no effect. In fact the Union actually forced slaves back to the sugar plantations when they left, thinking the Emancipation Proclamation included them)

We can also look at it as a great benefit to ALL people of this nation, as we wouldn't have a strong central government without Union victory in 1865.

But really, Union victory was a disaster, and we continue to be plagued by the results. Who TF would celebrate the federalization of our states?

Last edited:

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's pretty much it for me. I really thought they'd changed Columbus Day to Indigenous People's day; maybe not officially but a lot of places called it that.
And I support having a Juneteenth holiday, that seems like something we should celebrate.

The point for me is that it wasn't an issue until the mob started breaking glass and looting, now we have to cave to the spoiled children, which I believe are really pawns in a much bigger cause.

i don't subscribe to your conspiracy theory, but i think you're right that neither issue were front-burner stuff until recently. That said, i don't think it is necessarily caving either. There have been a variety of changes that have come about from the protests and in places that haven't seen violence. Some from corporate pressures, others have rallied to public support, and some in reaction to the violence (certainly).

But a lot of this stuff has been around for a while, it just came together at this time and in this way. Juneteenth apparently wasn't widely known until it was an issue for the scheduled Trump rally. That drew a lot of attention to it and at a time when discussions of who we honor is at the forefront.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless your totally ignorant of current events you know exactly what I’m talking about.

i try to follow the news, but the lesbian part is still unclear.

With regards to bringing our country to its knees, well we will continue to disagree about that. I personally think America is resilient enough to handle statues coming down (both legally and, sadly, illegally).

As for me taking a knee, well i haven't been to a protest, or church, or anywhere lately. But i do spend time playing with the kiddo on the floor, which i also replaced in the past year. So i did spend time on me knees for that. But again, i suspect your intent with the statement was some form of insult.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the BLM founders have stated that they are trained Marxists. The organization appears to be very much about LGBQ+ rights and the radical restructuring of society. If you support BLM you are supporting these goals, even as BLM supporters are killing people.
Below comes from the BLM "What We Believe" webpage. https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/
We see ourselves as part of the global Black family, and we are aware of the different ways we are impacted or privileged as Black people who exist in different parts of the world.

We are guided by the fact that all Black lives matter, regardless of actual or perceived sexual identity, gender identity, gender expression, economic status, ability, disability, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, immigration status, or location.

We make space for transgender brothers and sisters to participate and lead.

We are self-reflexive and do the work required to dismantle cisgender privilege and uplift Black trans folk, especially Black trans women who continue to be disproportionately impacted by trans-antagonistic violence.

We build a space that affirms Black women and is free from sexism, misogyny, and environments in which men are centered.

We practice empathy. We engage comrades with the intent to learn about and connect with their contexts.

We make our spaces family-friendly and enable parents to fully participate with their children. We dismantle the patriarchal practice that requires mothers to work “double shifts” so that they can mother in private even as they participate in public justice work.

We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.

We foster a queer‐affirming network. When we gather, we do so with the intention of freeing ourselves from the tight grip of heteronormative thinking, or rather, the belief that all in the world are heterosexual (unless s/he or they disclose otherwise).

Last edited:

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the BLM founders have stated that they are trained Marxists. The organization appears to be very much about LGBQ+ rights and the radical restructuring of society. If you support BLM you are supporting these goals, even as BLM supporters are killing people.

how does one train as a marxist exactly? i've seen that thrown about, but have never known if there was a certificate they got or if reading about marx was enough.

that is also an interesting reading of the stuff you quoted. As if the LBT community is somehow undeserving of support because of the violence that people have shown around the BLM protests.

still doesn’t explain the lesbian comment really

Latest posts

Top Bottom