Law School Admission Test/LSAT Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All,

I've been thinking about going to night school and Law School hit me like a ton-of-lead.

Yes, I have three Bachelor's and two Master's but have been thinking about Law School.

I have extra time on my hands in my evening hours and would like to pursue this. I have several questions before I investigate this further and will throw these out.

LSAT: Are there any private classes or university courses to get me through this test? I know of several text, but would like a class or classes.

Oklahoma City Univ/OCU: I know this University offers "part-time" courses and that's why I'm going with it.......Yes, I know the cost!! Is there a minimum class/hours requirement? Can a person audit a law degree/classes just for knowledge, not for legal usage?

Bar Exam: If I went through with this in a degree manner, meaning I would use it or have the possibility of using it, are there classes on passing the Bar Exam? Private or University level??

I will look into this at the University(OCU)level, but wanted "real world" experience and advice.

***I may never use this degree, I mainly want to take classes to keep the "gray matter"/brain active!!:teach:***

And yes, my wife thinks that I have lost my mind!!!!!:slap::smack:

Thanks for the help and info!!

Cohiba

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will not want to start law school without being fully committed. You can just audit classes and pick an choose, you have to be admitted and then you pretty much are told what you take when. It will be very expensive and you should only do it if you plan to use it.

Kaplan, Princeton review, and many other programs offer review both for the LSAT an bar. Both are offered as classes or study books.

otherone

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
LSAT: check out the Princeton Review book and take some practice tests. If you can't get a decent score that way, you could try some classes. This test has nothing to do with being a lawyer by the way. Some people are great at this type of test and some are not. You will know which category you fall into pretty quickly.

OCU: I have no experience with OCU. I went to OU - Boomer Sooner!!!

Bar exam: Again, this has very little correlation to whether one will be a good or bad attorney. The test is very very hard. I passed my first time but I think it was a good bit of luck. I had lots of friends spend lots of money on classes. I just borrowed their materials and studied with them.

If you are just looking to exercise the melon, I think law school is a great idea. It involves a lot of reading and critical analysis. Like most other things, you get out of it what you put in. It is also a good exercise in public speaking and argument (especially if you have a Prof. who is into the Socratic method). Good luck if you decide to go for it!

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have lost your mind. If you persist in this ill-advised course of action, hopefully this will help.

LSAT: There are study guides, but I don't know about classes. I took the test twice, once cold, and once after studying. Got the same score. YMMV.

OCU: Don't know. Didn't go there.

BAR: Two part test; one day of essay questions (different in each state), the next day multiple choice (MBE exam given to every bar applicant in the nation).

There are private companies that offer classes that will be held at the school. Two main ones are PMBR and BARBRI. PMBR focuses on the MBE and BARBRI on the MBE and essays. You need to take both. Oh, and they cost extra.

Don't forget the MPRE (professional responsibility exam). Given in nearly every state, most students take it before graduation. Must get a certain score (varies per state) in order to be sworn in as an attorney, even if you passed the bar. One class will be part of your curriculum, and if you like, you can take an outside class, but not really necessary.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife took a few practice tests to get a feel for it, then busted out a 173 on her first and only try. As someone said above, either you're the kind of person that does well on these tests or you're not. I'd say take some practice tests just to see where you're at, then decide if you really even need a class.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
The aforementioned prep courses for the LSAT are good.

I did not find law school particularly enjoyable. It was like going back to high school. I graduated a semester early and was happy I did.

I sat for the bar exam and passed the first time. I did not find it very difficult.

I have been luckier than most in my practice, but part of that is because I view it as a business and have since the day I graduated. I have always worked for myself and maybe that is what has made me feel about it the way I do.

Honestly, if I had it to do over, I would have probably gone into medicine. Either cosmetic or orthopedic surgery.

I would suggest you think a great deal about the time and expense. It's not like taking community college courses. (not nearly as enjoyable)

Pm if you have specific questions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom