Long-term storage of......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apples. This isn't necessarily for a phtf situation, but I'm just curious about storing apples. In the past 6 months or so I have gotten hooked on apples. We usually buy about 15 pounds at a time at Sams. That supply will last me about a week or two. I'd buy more than that but I don't figure they would keep much longer. Any ideas?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can dehydrate them, can them, or store them as they are. If you want to store them "whole" you need to wrap each apple (make sure there are no blemishes or bruises first) in newspaper and store them in a single layer (those boxes that cakes come from the bakery in are perfect or shirt boxes like you use for Christmas presents) box in a dark, cool place. I'd check them every week or so, just in case one goes bad, because that saying "one bad apple spoils the whole bunch" is NOT "just a saying".

Some apples store better this way than others ... Here ... this might help ... http://www.best-easy-apple-recipes.com/storing-apples.html

subprep will be along shortly to share her recipe for dehydrating apple slices ... I hope ... :naughty:

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:spitlaugh ummm yeah.... about that... I dehydrated apples once... they are still in my pantry... I need a barfing emoticon for this... however! I did see a recipe involving apples and cinnamon in the dehydrator that I may just try again. But not with my honey crisps... oh no, those are the sacred apples and I will be feasting upon them shortly LOL

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:rollingla I have some banana chips that get given to the chickens as a treat every now and again ... bleech ... LOL Let me just say that the lemon juice "trick" to keep them from browning ... well, it makes them pretty inedible too! :D

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Neither of you are doing a good job of selling me on the idea of dehydrating them.

I will have I try your storage suggestions...but on some crappy apples. Not the fujis or galas. I think I'm eating 4-5 a day. We bought 20 pounds Saturday and I've already been through more than 5 pounds of them. Even sitting here talking about apples is making me hungry.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Neither of you are doing a good job of selling me on the idea of dehydrating them.

I will have I try your storage suggestions...but on some crappy apples. Not the fujis or galas. I think I'm eating 4-5 a day. We bought 20 pounds Saturday and I've already been through more than 5 pounds of them. Even sitting here talking about apples is making me hungry.

LOL ... Sorry ... My next favorite way to use up a bunch of them is apple butter ... I need to go to Sam's and get some apples now ... :)

ETA: I see aviator is a fan ... :naughty: There is nothing better than apple butter on hot sourdough biscuits ... Goodness ... Now I'm hungry ... :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom