Long-term storage of......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakota Safe

Marksman
Reaction score
Apples. This isn't necessarily for a phtf situation, but I'm just curious about storing apples. In the past 6 months or so I have gotten hooked on apples. We usually buy about 15 pounds at a time at Sams. That supply will last me about a week or two. I'd buy more than that but I don't figure they would keep much longer. Any ideas?

First of all, quit buying them at Sams. Aldi's has the cheapest apples and three different varieties. I was paying $1.88 per 3 lb. bag as apposed to sams 3 lb bag for $6.95.

I was dehydrating them. They are amazing and can store from 2 to 10 years that way.

I use an apple peeling hand crank machine. Keep the peels on. That is where all the good stuff is anyway. I would cut and place on my dehydrater shelves and sprinkle a little cinnamon on them. Dehydrate for 24 hours at 140 degrees. The green apples and red delicious work best for this. Once you have them dehydrated you can vacuum seal them and set them on a shelf and will last up to 2 years just like that. Or you put that bag in a freezer and they can last up to 10 years if frozen. My wife and kids can't get enough of them in this way and I rarely can get any in a freezer to store for long term. But, I do. Dehydrating really is the best for long term. Great as a dietary food as well. They will swell in your stomach and make you feel full.

Hope this helps.

Dakota Safe

Marksman
Reaction score
I just bought 40lbs of honeycrisps, I can't bear to turn them into apple butter or anything else what am I going to do! Can you just can plain apples?

Absolutely! Can those "plain" apples. Find a recipe for pie filling and go to town. Or just can them in sugar water. You can even pickle them. FYI - You can, can anything!

Latest posts

Top Bottom