Looking to buy my first AR15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegadethreads

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not looking for cheap. I tend to keep what I buy forever. If I were to sum up my preferences, I would say I own a lot of H&Ks. I generally prefer .308, but I want to try an AR15 before I go AR10. I try to cover most calibers in my stock pile. I'm open to a custom build, but I'm leaning towards a Colt LE6920socom first. Probably reading too much AR15.com. Maybe a Daniel defense, or a POF. I'd buy an RRA, but I'm scared I'll regret compatibility later. M4s have appeal. Length? Help lead me down the path to a good decision that I'll be comfortable with 10 years from now and 3 AR15s later.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This question gets asked so much there ought to be a sticky to address it.

First and most important question is this.
What role will this tool serve?

Second question.
What is your budget?

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This question gets asked so much there ought to be a sticky to address it.

First and most important question is this.
What role will this tool serve?

Second question.
What is your budget?

This, more than anything else.

If you are a big spender get a Knights Armament SR-15.

I've owned a KAC and was not impressed with what I received for the price paid.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned a KAC and was not impressed with what I received for the price paid.[/QUOTE]

You are one of the few. I did a lot of research before I bought mine and found nothing but positive things. Most say it's the one of the best they have owned and if they sold it, they say they wish the hadn't. I have been very happy with mine.

It really depends on your budget. Most of the guys here will tell you to build your own.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are one of the few. I did a lot of research before I bought mine and found nothing but positive things. Most say it's the one of the best they have owned and if they sold it, they say they wish the hadn't. I have been very happy with mine.

It really depends on your budget. Most of the guys here will tell you to build your own.

It was mainly fit and finish. This is back when I wanted to white glove all my firearms. Since then, I treat them as they should, as a tool. Even now, after coming full circle I can't justify the prices that KAC demands. I just don't feel it's worth it, but that's just me. I'd rather take a DD or BCM if I had to have a complete rifle at half the price and spend the extra $$ on optics and ammo and shoot the piss out of it. Or just just build one by picking and choosing where to spend extra, and where to spend less. The latter, is what I have been doing for the past 4 years with great results. Again, this is all just my opinion.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was mainly fit and finish. This is back when I wanted to white glove all my firearms. Since then, I treat them as they should, as a tool. Even now, after coming full circle I can't justify the prices that KAC demands. I just don't feel it's worth it, but that's just me. I'd rather take a DD or BCM if I had to have a complete rifle at half the price and spend the extra $$ on optics and ammo and shoot the piss out of it. Or just just build one by picking and choosing where to spend extra, and where to spend less. The latter, is what I have been doing for the past 4 years with great results. Again, this is all just my opinion.

I can't disagree. I bought mine second hand, saved several hundred dollars.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just my opinion.....take it for what it's worth.

I fought the AR Black Rifle bug for 35-40 years. Didn't want anything that ate that much so fast.
All of the sudden I have two.
You're not marrying them.
Buy a used one and see if you like them.
Maybe buy a couple.
When you're educated enough sell them and buy a nice one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom