Looking to buy my first AR15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegadethreads

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This question gets asked so much there ought to be a sticky to address it.

First and most important question is this.
What role will this tool serve?

Range use mostly would be my guess, but home defense and being tacticool seems inevitable. I'll want to put a light on it and be able to swap out an Eotech and scope I'll likely stick with my bolt rifles for hunting.

Second question.
What is your budget?

I'm open minded here, but I would probably not want to go over 2k at the worst.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Range use mostly would be my guess, but home defense and being tacticool seems inevitable. I'll want to put a light on it and be able to swap out an Eotech and scope I'll likely stick with my bolt rifles for hunting.

I'm open minded here, but I would probably not want to go over 2k at the worst.

Build, or buy complete from the factory? There are pro's and con's for both.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If I had 2K to spend on an AR ...I would spend around $800 for the rifle, then get a decent red dot, then spend the rest on ammo, and have a lot of fun!

My first AR was a M&P-OR and I really liked it before I had to sell it for financial reasons. About the only thing I wanted to change was the trigger group to something a little better for long range shooting.

heat-ar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get the colt 6920 they are price right and they are very good guns. I have a 6920 and i think i am up to around 4000 rounds shot through it with no issues.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For that amount, I would look at getting something with a flat top & flip up sights. Key-Mod rails are the new thing and it makes sense to me. This configuration lets you adapt and change however you want without being stuck with something you can't remove. (Like a A2 front sight)

Like others have said, I'd spend the rest on a quality optic and mount. I like the Aimpoint Pro or the T1 with Larue mount but my preference is a 1-4 magnification optic with a Larue mount.

Or spend, $1,200 on a nice rifle and the rest on a can!

Latest posts

Top Bottom