M38 m44 or type 53?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the Mosin carbine world, there are four principle models; M38, M44, M91/38 and M91/59. I used to have one of each but, like so many other guns, one day up near Salinas, Lord, I let them slip away.

91/59's were cut down from standard 91/30's, for the most part. Similarly, 91/38's were cut down, primarily from 91's.

91/59's are often the best of the lot. I'm partial to the 91/38 cause there are so many surprises in the old rifles that gave them life. I've seen, or heard of, Remingtons, Westinghouses, Cossacks, Finn-marked and all kinds of other goodies.

Many of the cut-downs, both 38's and 59's are in excellent shape. I'm guessing they were removed from storage warehouses and put through the cut-down process. This was back in the late 50's and 60's.

spazzwarr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
M38 for my vote. At one time I had 2-38s & 2-44s. Now have just one of each. Love to shoot the 38 and it is the most accurate. It is the lighter of the two as a result of no bayonet.
Being the lightest also means it has the most recoil. Not unbearable and you hardly recognize it after a while. Ronny is right, my 44 is the cleanest Mosin I have had. Still had the parchment paper in the barrel when I got it.
One of my 44s was a Hungarian model that had been used by the Hungarian militia in the early 50s uprising against the Soviets. Sold it, wish I had it back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom