Marine Corps Plans To Get Rid Of “Yes Sir” Over Gender Neutrality Concerns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After reading the title of this article you may be thinking this is a Babylon Bee article but the answer is no.

A recent report commissioned by the Corps raises “concerns” over Marines using the terms “Sir” or “Ma’am” while addressing drill instructors due to Gender Neutrality worries.

A new academic report on efforts to integrate Marine Corps boot camp recommends dropping gender-specific salutations for drill instructors, but service leaders are not convinced they want to take that step.

The lengthy report, commissioned by the Corps from the University of Pittsburgh in 2020 and completed in 2022, points out that half of the military services already have done away with gendered identifiers for training staff.

“The Army, Navy, and Coast Guard effectively de-emphasize gender in an integrated environment,” the report states. “Instead of saying ‘ma’am’ or ‘sir,’ recruits in these Services refer to their drill instructors using their ranks or roles followed by their last names. Gendered identifiers prime recruits to think about or visually search for a drill instructor’s gender first, before their rank or role.”
https://triunetimes.org/marine-corps-plans-to-get-rid-of-yes-sir-over-gender-neutrality-concerns/

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In 1968 I was addressed as "Drill Sergeant Xxxx", and I'm pretty sure it didn't have anything to do with gender identity. So, what I am saying is, I don't believe the Army has done anything different in the area of titles to suck up to the stupidity that has infected our nation and world.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now wait a dang minute, I am confused. Due to some medical issues I was not allowed to enlist like the rest of my family. My understanding is a USMC DI would about decapitate you if you referred to him as “Sir”. “I ain’t no GD officer!!!!!”
Okay, talked to my SIL who just got out of the Corps. He said they’d respond to a command from a DI with either “Sir yes Sir” or “Aye Aye Sir” but? Now these are his words “ If you straight up called him Sir he would ***k you up!”

Last edited:

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Now wait a dang minute, I am confused. Due to some medical issues I was not allowed to enlist like the rest of my family. My understanding is a USMC DI would about decapitate you if you referred to him as “Sir”. “I ain’t no GD officer!!!!!”
Incorrect. In boot camp, at least in 1975 the drill instructor was sir and the the recruit was a private. The terms I and you were not allowed to be used. For example, the private requests to use the head sir. I’m sure these days they sip latte and get to sit in chairs for diversity training. The pussification of America is nearing completion. We will never win another war. Not that we’ve won any since WWII.

Latest posts

Top Bottom