Marine Corps Plans To Get Rid Of “Yes Sir” Over Gender Neutrality Concerns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YetiSam

spaghetti pistols
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Incorrect. In boot camp, at least in 1975 the drill instructor was sir and the the recruit was a private. The terms I and you were not allowed to be used. For example, the private requests to use the head sir. I’m sure these days they sip latte and get to sit in chairs for diversity training. The pussification of America is nearing completion. We will never win another war. Not that we’ve won any since WWII.

I went in 2001 and it was still third person. Although you called yourself a recruit instead of private. Had to earn private

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ll believe it when I see it. It’s just more speculative clickbait with clever wording to get advertising revenue.

I’m showing my age with this, but when I went through boot camp in 2008 it was the same as it was in the 70s. You called the drill instructors sir until about the last week of training. Once you went through the crucible and received your EGA you were then considered a Marine, and could address senior enlisted by their rank. You were still lower that a dogs turd, but you at least got that and a little less screaming for a week or two. I remember it being pretty weird/surreal, my drill instructors were exceptionally mean. Up until that exact moment.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back when I was in the Navy as soon as I got off the bus my new name instantly became Dickhead.

I just can't imagine wanting to even enlist in this sad state of affairs now.
Haha I have a rather large head, so mine was “big head”. One of my drill instructors just loved giving me crap, and it was always hard to keep my composure when you had a terry crews looking dude calling you big head and making jokes about how I look like a bobble head. He would come by my rack after lights out just to whisper crap like that to me just loud enough that only a few racks around us could hear. If anyone laughed it was the end of the world, because either he would raise hell, or the senior drill instructor would hear noise, come out, and wreck house.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The TV show "The Orville" (a kind of Start Trek knock-off created by Seth McFarland with three seasons now streaming on Hulu) is set in the year 2418 and they just refer to everyone, without any mention or consideration of gender, as "sir."

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The TV show "The Orville" (a kind of Start Trek knock-off created by Seth McFarland with three seasons now streaming on Hulu) is set in the year 2418 and they just refer to everyone, without any mention or consideration of gender, as "sir."
Piece of crap TV show with over paid actors and they still pushed gay and lesbian agendas.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Piece of crap TV show with over paid actors and they still pushed gay and lesbian agendas.

Thank you for your input.

It had its high and low points but overall I liked the show. I don't know how much anyone got paid but I assume it was at least scale. There is a lot of what I consider exorbitant paydays going on in TV and movies but then there are cases like Jon Heder getting paid $1000 to play the titular character in a movie that ended up grossing $40 million. I do know it didn't cost me anything to watch the first two season since it was on broadcast TV. We got Hulu for many other purposes and were surprised to find a 3rd season there. I liked most of the characters, especially First Officer Kelly Grayson. I remember the actress from Friday Night Lights where I also liked her but this was a really different character. The only possible thing I can think of to which you might be referring to as gay and lesbian was the species that was mostly male and procreated with two men and an egg. Of course that wouldn't be lesbian since it was two males and really it wouldn't be gay either because that's how their species procreated. I'm not sure what you call it exactly but perhaps if that species gets in own series someday the writers will explore that further. I actually kind of thought that particular story line kind of went against all the current gender narrative going on in society rather than supporting it. But, admittedly I don't really watch TV real closely. It is more a passive activity for me most of the time so perhaps I missed some nuance or there is a story line I don't remember at all. I just know I'm always fully ready to be offended and was not.

I do remember them referring to everyone as "sir" regardless of gender which was my point in posting the reference to the show here today.

Pew, pew! <--- just added that because I felt silly typing so much above on a gun forum and wanted this to at least be somewhat gun related.

Bryan

Latest posts

Top Bottom