Monarch Ammo, bad stuff.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the problem with steel ammunition and ARs an ammo quality issue or a failure on the part of the gun?

With the Monarch ammo I had, the bullets were being setback in the cases during chambering and primers were coming loose...during chamber. The primers were literally coming out of the pockets. I saw enough in the 60 rounds I purchased to not ever do it again. From this thread it seems like not everyone has had issues like I did.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the problem with steel ammunition and ARs an ammo quality issue or a failure on the part of the gun?

Lots of people want to blame it on the ammo, but in reality it is the weapon in most cases (when the problem is FTE related). The above post about the primers...that is most certainly an ammo problem!!

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just remember that Monarch doesn't make their own ammo -- they buy ammo from a variety of sources, slap their name on it, and sell it. So just because you had a problem with steel case monarch (which is really Brown Bear or Wolf or Barnaul or something), doesn't mean you will have problems with brass case (which is all PPU). If the steel case stuff gives you problems, you might try the brass case before you write the whole brand name off as being junk.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We shoot Monarch in our ARs all the time. The only problem we've had is sealer build up. If you don't have a real chamber cleaning brush, get one. The lacquer, or whatever that stuff they seal it up with will occupy a lot of real estate in your chamber pretty fast. Then, it it won't want to eject, and I imagine it wouldn't want to feed all the way if it was bad enough, although I personally haven't had it happen. My barrel is Bushmaster, and the kids is ER Shaw. Both are chromed lined. Hope that helps.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No problem in my handguns.

By the way, Academy says it is their brand AND they will accept returns on this brand of ammo. Academy has return policy, on on this paper it says they WILL accept returns on Monarch ammo.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the steel case .223 Monarch I have shot has been Barnaul (aka: Brown Bear) and is the best polymer-coated steel cased ammo I have used, much better than the Wolf/Tula stuff I have tried. I have shot about 5K in practice and in competition and can count on one hand the number of failures I have had. In those instances, the rifle and magazines were very dirty.

Ammo can vary drastically from lot to lot. It is quite possible that you got some bad stuff.

B

blacklabelmongo

Yeah it might have just been bad stuff. I highly doubt it was my rifle that was the issue, but since have went to brass. I refuse to pay 9 -10 dollars per 20 of monarch brass when you can get much better quality ammo for that or less in mass quantity.

Latest posts

Top Bottom