Monarch Ammo, bad stuff.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you talking about the steel case Monarch, or the brass case? They sell both kinds for .223. The steel case is re-branded Wolf and is not the best quality stuff. The brass is re-branded Prvi Partizan, which has a pretty good reputation and is reloadable, to boot.

I get the Monarch/Prvi stuff for my .30-30, and it shoots great. Under $.50/round with reloadable brass is hard to beat in that caliber.

I've put a few hundred rounds of Monarch/Prvi .38 special through my S&W with no problems, too... and their .380 works fine in my Kel Tec.

B

blacklabelmongo

These are the steel ones. I plan on eventually doing my own reloads later down the line, but not until I can both afford the right tools to do it 100% properly, and I can afford good quality casings to reuse. I am just flat bummed here not knowing what the culprit is. It either has to be a burr in the entry of the barrel (which I doubt) or damage to the bolt.

B

blacklabelmongo

The only time I have been able to get the bolt to close is with the upper completely disconnected from the lower, dropping a round in the chamber and pushing the bolt and carrier forward without the charging handle in... Maybe its just the long day I have had and this is something really basic

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No problems here with the brass .243 Win and .380acp. I have fed the .380 through my lcp, my wifes lcp, and my mak with not a single failure.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't imagine you damaged the chamber or the bolt. You should be able to visibly see damage to either. How many rounds did you shoot? The stuff that I used was polymer coated which could be building up in the chamber. I think cleaning with a good chamber brush and solvent might do the trick.

B

blacklabelmongo

Its cheap range ammo. Lower your expectations.

I understand that, but lowering my expectations and ruining my gun are two different things here. I will do a thorough cleaning of it today to see if it fixes the problem now that I have a little rest behind me.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i shot very few rounds of monarch 223 in my first ar-15, but it was the bare bones ar15 so cheap cheap. when i built my own i started buying the BVAC and Remington as my cheap two.
shot the monarch 9mm for awhile. it offered no problems, but i started liking the seller and bellot now. so i stopped buying monarch ammos.

the bvac has offered no problems out of the 556. but their 9mm is weak. it causes my m9a1 to short stroke then jam, and it feels weak. it fires well enough in my ruger sr9c but after i finish this bulk pack off. i wont be buying bvac pistol ammo anymore. and only in a pinch for the 223.

Latest posts

Top Bottom