More Bad News

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am by no means an expert on jobs, the economy or much of anything for that matter. Raising minimum wage screws people in the lower end of the income bracket. Wal mart and all other retailers will adjust the price of goods to continue to make the same profit. Some retailers will use that as an excuse to "over adjust" the price. So now your minimum wage job actually buys you less as a result. One thing I would like to see is an age based minimum wage scale. Your 16-18yr olds would get a way lower minimum wage than your 18+. Why does a 16 yr old need $10 an hour to bag groceries?

hanson405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, first of all, MW is not 5.15 an hour but that's irrelevant. If you based your opinion on facts instead of emotions and talking points then you will agree. Less that 1.5% earn MW, and many of those are earners who also earn tips, and that puts them well ahead of MW. Most MW earners don't NEED to live entirely on MW, eg. students, young people at home, etc. If you (not you specifically) fall in a group that can't live on a single MW job, then get off your butt and get another job or a marketable skill.

I'm aware that it is no longer 5.15, but I've been there. Yes as a student, no I didn't need the money. I'll have to say I agree with you. Our economy is in the shitter because we can't produce goods as cheap as anyone else, because of our high labor rate.

Off topic, but tipped employees make much less than minimum wage in most places. $2.13 an hour is what most servers in most restaurants make. But yes, it is the legal obligation of the restaurant to ensure that their employees are making at least minimum wage, including tips.

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why doesnt the US stop giving our money to foreign countries to open up locks and chanels in their waterways??? Hmmmmm.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will have to see if I can find the piece online, but everyone is making less then they used to, not just the minimum wage earners.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There will always be somebody at the bottom for whatever reason. Do you really think corporations **WOULDN'T** pay them less - if it were not illegal?
(i.e. for the only purpose of increasing profits.) I think there SHOULD be a safety-net to keep corporations from taking advantage of people with few (if any) options.
...now, should it be raised? I don't know.

Hmmm, I never thought about it - but Minimum Wage (MW), is might close to Wal-Mart (WM).
(humor!!!!) :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom