Mossberg ATR 100 .270 AMMO for Coyotes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crag83

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
All,

Does anyone have any suggestions for ammo to use while coyote hunting with my new Mossberg .270? I would like to keep the pelt if possible, so I was thinking of a less strong as a bullet, but I wasn't sure, that's why I am posting it on here.

Thanks

Craig

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You might be best off handloading, but if thats not an option then see what hornady offers in Varmint ammo for that cal. (if anything) Gonna be hard to get a bullet to stay in a yote from that gun. To save the pelt I wonder if going the opposite way mght be better. Get a bullet made for elk, it might blow through without much deformation and only put small holes on both sides.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow,...This is a tough one if you don't handload. You're going to have a tough time salvaging the hide if you hit a coyote with a .270. Any of the normal loadings are likely to make big holes.

You might try some of the Remington Managed-Recoil Ammo. It sends a 115 grain bullet out @ 2700 fps. This is about as mild as you're going to get out of a factory .270 load. My uncle shot a broadside deer with these one time and didn't get a pass thru. Killed the deer dead, but didn't tear much up. I'm pretty sure you can find this stuff at Walmart or Academy, and for some reason was extremely accurate out of his rifle.

If that doesn't work, you might go the opposite direction as Mitch says. Something like a Barnes TSX bullet that's pretty hard. However, don't be surprised if they make coyote hamburger..!

Good luck.

lightningkylej

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can hand load (or know someone that can for you), Sierra makes a hollow point varminter bullet in 90 grain. A reduced powder charge and a little range time to find out what grain the gun will shoot the best might net you decent results.

BTW, with Federal 130 grain Power Shocks, I shot a Yote at about 25 yards hitting a rib in the front. The bullet proceeded to expand and literally ripped the pelt from the neck to the tail. All the entrails were slung up to 15 feet behind the coyote.

Although very carefully posed as to not offend any light hart-ed spouses,
You can still see some of the damage in this pic.
[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom