MSRP $2200 asking $3200

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yojinbo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would you all be upset at a posting for a brand new gun at 30% below MSRP as well?

If lower than MSRP would OK with you I might ask why you allow one and not the other? The buyer has the liberty (the right) to ask whatever in the world they want to ask in a free market. As 1 Shott points out no one is forcing the sale. (forcing the sale is what started both Tea Parties)

When you say that you will welcome lower prices and not higher prices you are trying to manage the economy. When you make a public judgment about a sale you are not involved in and then try to stop or prevent future sales you are trying to manage a marketplace. Some really smart folks think (and thought) that economies always need a "a little more" management and control. Folks like President Omama, Chairman Mao Zedong and a lot of others. Such people always do it "for the common person", etc. But it ends in tears.

The first great thing I learned when I came to Oklahoma 30 years ago was; "A horse is worth what someone will give you for it - today". This gets more true the older I get. I have sat in BOD meeting of a Co-op before. Let me tell you if you want to see price panic sit in on one of those meetings at your local co-op when the .gov starts buying corn grain for ethanol. I bring this up because a Co-op is a community that has banned together in order to manage prices and serve members (among other things). One of the worst things a community like that can do is to ignore a fundamental change in prices of commodities that impact members. The only thing worse would be to actively work to drive those transactions outside of the community out of frustration/fear/dreed.

Now in terms of OSA (And this thread WAS about an off-site gun that seems to have sold now):
OSA can set whatever policies that Mr. Drown cares to regarding the classifieds. OSA does not need to be a free market at all. I see many of you advocating only to allow "good transactions" at OSA. But if the policy is "ads 5% over MSRP will be deleted" that might be a good thing to state. If policy is "OSA will never acknowledge a gun price rise until the prices have been in place for at least 365 days" state it. If you want to protect members from price rises, you may also end up protecting them from price drops - this has been the fate of most of the worlds smart "economy planners".

Seeking to block transactions that obey the current rules but that you don't like may hurt OSA long-term. You are pursuing a strategy that divides. Our members may want to sell a PMag for $45. Do they wait 90days? Do they wait 3 years? Probably not - they sell by some other method rather that risk the ridicule of a community they respect. Some members might be OK buying a $45 PMag in 3 months if prices have not "stabilized. YOU are the boss of your own buying and selling. Our sponsors have to restock at crazy-high prices. Our members are in the exact same boat as them. Are we honestly going to ask them to take grief from us for a problem that they did not create? Jesus is the only 'man' I know of who would hang and around to be punished for a crime he was not guilty of. Most normal folks will simply move on and do business elsewhere.

Take responsibility for your own actions in the market that you are in today. Buy when items are low and sell when they are worth more to someone else than they are to you. Free speech is wonderful - talk about prices that are too high for you to pay - but please don't try to bully or scare others (with talk about bans and deleted posts) into selling to you at prices below the current market. We can't seek to enforce the site's policies by violating the spirit of them - trashing another member's ad directly or indirectly. Too many of you are all betting that this price increase is price spike and will be other soon. "Betting" is the key word in the previous sentence. Its a gamble. May pay off, may not. I Think OSA needs to be uniting shooters and not dividing them at a time like this. I want to see this community incorporate some of the new faces who have wandered in - not make a mean face at them because they are sitting in "your" pew at church. The future of US shooting has a lot more pressing concerns than the current price of ARs.

midman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll second this!!
Would you all be upset at a posting for a brand new gun at 30% below MSRP as well?

If lower than MSRP would OK with you I might ask why you allow one and not the other? The buyer has the liberty (the right) to ask whatever in the world they want to ask in a free market. As 1 Shott points out no one is forcing the sale. (forcing the sale is what started both Tea Parties)

When you say that you will welcome lower prices and not higher prices you are trying to manage the economy. When you make a public judgment about a sale you are not involved in and then try to stop or prevent future sales you are trying to manage a marketplace. Some really smart folks think (and thought) that economies always need a "a little more" management and control. Folks like President Omama, Chairman Mao Zedong and a lot of others. Such people always do it "for the common person", etc. But it ends in tears.

The first great thing I learned when I came to Oklahoma 30 years ago was; "A horse is worth what someone will give you for it - today". This gets more true the older I get. I have sat in BOD meeting of a Co-op before. Let me tell you if you want to see price panic sit in on one of those meetings at your local co-op when the .gov starts buying corn grain for ethanol. I bring this up because a Co-op is a community that has banned together in order to manage prices and serve members (among other things). One of the worst things a community like that can do is to ignore a fundamental change in prices of commodities that impact members. The only thing worse would be to actively work to drive those transactions outside of the community out of frustration/fear/dreed.

Now in terms of OSA (And this thread WAS about an off-site gun that seems to have sold now):
OSA can set whatever policies that Mr. Drown cares to regarding the classifieds. OSA does not need to be a free market at all. I see many of you advocating only to allow "good transactions" at OSA. But if the policy is "ads 5% over MSRP will be deleted" that might be a good thing to state. If policy is "OSA will never acknowledge a gun price rise until the prices have been in place for at least 365 days" state it. If you want to protect members from price rises, you may also end up protecting them from price drops - this has been the fate of most of the worlds smart "economy planners".

Seeking to block transactions that obey the current rules but that you don't like may hurt OSA long-term. You are pursuing a strategy that divides. Our members may want to sell a PMag for $45. Do they wait 90days? Do they wait 3 years? Probably not - they sell by some other method rather that risk the ridicule of a community they respect. Some members might be OK buying a $45 PMag in 3 months if prices have not "stabilized. YOU are the boss of your own buying and selling. Our sponsors have to restock at crazy-high prices. Our members are in the exact same boat as them. Are we honestly going to ask them to take grief from us for a problem that they did not create? Jesus is the only 'man' I know of who would hang and around to be punished for a crime he was not guilty of. Most normal folks will simply move on and do business elsewhere.

Take responsibility for your own actions in the market that you are in today. Buy when items are low and sell when they are worth more to someone else than they are to you. Free speech is wonderful - talk about prices that are too high for you to pay - but please don't try to bully or scare others (with talk about bans and deleted posts) into selling to you at prices below the current market. We can't seek to enforce the site's policies by violating the spirit of them - trashing another member's ad directly or indirectly. Too many of you are all betting that this price increase is price spike and will be other soon. "Betting" is the key word in the previous sentence. Its a gamble. May pay off, may not. I Think OSA needs to be uniting shooters and not dividing them at a time like this. I want to see this community incorporate some of the new faces who have wandered in - not make a mean face at them because they are sitting in "your" pew at church. The future of US shooting has a lot more pressing concerns than the current price of ARs.

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First of all, I would like to make a suggestion. Please do not start out an argument with name calling no matter who it is. No one will ever take you serious. You can have most coherent statement in the argument but people will still assume your education level is very low. Even if it is a joke.

Now back on topic. I personally do not have a problem with someone selling an item because they want to sell it. What I do have a problem with is profiteering. It is the people camping out at sporting goods stores to buy out their entire stock. Then they come here trying to gain massive profits. They are hurting our sport and this community. I have no respect for them. Please take it to a national forum.

People do not understand what they are doing. They are ripping out the chance to enjoy our sport for people with a lower socioeconomic climate. Which is well over 80% of this community. I personally will not be affected because I can afford to throw down the money and shoot my firearms. But Jo community member that is raising a family of 4 in $45, 000 a year can not. He will have to deny taking his family to the range because it is now priced outside of his realm of income.

Sent via Forum Runner.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is allowed by the board to do so.

This is what it says on the report post window:

Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

If we don't' LIKE something and flag it irrespective of the rules, then we're on the road to becoming Censorius Asshats (shout out to Popehat) are we not?

Edited to add: this is a private forum, and the forum owner is free to set any rules he wants regarding posting/ads/whatever. I would hope, though, that the rules were enforced evenly and consistenly, and said rules are clear and understood by all. I would not like OSA to become another howling mob.

Latest posts

Top Bottom