Muzzle Breaks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metspitcher20

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am shooting a Thompson Center Pro Hunter .270. I have been shooting really well out to 600 yards but after that I think the recoil of my rifle has a lot to do with my groups expanding. I was wondering if anyone knew of a pretty reputable place in Oklahoma I could go to have a muzzle break put on my gun? If you guys could give me some ideas I would appreciate it.
Thank you

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shooting long range is easy! hitting at long range is the trick :pms2: Josh is right ya gotta dope the wind right or you'll miss all day long and you would be suprised just how much that 5 mph wind will blow a bullet around. Later,

Kirk

metspitcher20

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I am aware of the wind. That is no problem. I have a kestrel wind meter that measures wind speed. I use it everytime I shoot. I am a little more advanced than you might think. It's just that when I shoot, my gun jumps up a lot and I know that's not good for accuracy. Here is a picture of a target I shot at 400 yards with a 17mph wind blowing from right to left.

[Broken External Image]

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might be your loads. Just because it is good at 100 doesn't make it a winner at 600.

If it is a recoil problem, I'd say it is a flinch problem. Back to basics.

To answer your question, Mechanical Accuracy in Jones.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your kestrel doesn't measure the wind down range were it actually matters...

But take your rifle to Mechanical Accuarcy in Jones if you want a MB cause he's the best shop in OK after Surgeon and they only have the edge cause the CNC machines they have.

I just noticed it's with a single shot rifle too. Having to change you position for each shot makes a huge difference also.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I am aware of the wind. That is no problem. I have a kestrel wind meter that measures wind speed. I use it everytime I shoot. I am a little more advanced than you might think. It's just that when I shoot, my gun jumps up a lot and I know that's not good for accuracy. Here is a picture of a target I shot at 400 yards with a 17mph wind blowing from right to left.

[Broken External Image]

That's an impressive group there - what do your 10-shot groups look like at 100yards?

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you think it will help then get one. I have shot a 300 mag with a muzzle break and it definitely helped with recoil. My two rifles do not have muzzle breaks. Your gun may only be able to produce a certain degree of accuracy no matter what you do. Spending more money on a better rifle will probably get you better results but thats subject to many variables like a cheaper gun. I don't know anyone who does muzzle breaks locally.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I highly doubt a muzzle brake will help with accuracy at any range with a 270 Winchester.

If you really want a brake, I'd consider sending the barrel to Match Grade Machine or SSK Industries to have their integral brake cut into the barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom