My old Suburban

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Was this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finding a quality mechanic is important, but paying too much for work is unnecessary. You have to know when to fold or shop around. Spending local is nice when prices are similar. You could have easily spent half of that at another shop for the same amount of work. Parts are very cheap for the older Chevy trucks(most aftermarket parts are made in China), and any shop can work on one. You should have purchased a much newer Suburban.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your money. Your choice. Might not have been the best financial decision but you'll have what you want and you know the mechanical soundness. Had a suburban of that vintage and it was one of the best vehicles I ever owned except for one thing. It ATE radiators. Put 6 or 7 in it over the 195+thousand miles I ran it. Heard the same thing from both my radiator man and my mechanic....something about the frame flex forward of the front axle putting stress on the radiator. After the second radiator, I bought one with a lifetime warranty. Local O'Reilley's honored it till the end.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a '98 Suburban, single worst vehicle I've owned, GMC took it back due to Customer Sat, the 2001 they replaced it with was much better, and drove way better.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is true. A 67-72 with modern drivetrain (ls, 6.0/4L80e, etc) can be pretty close for a classic, tho. 67-62 Chevys seal up pretty well for a classic. Better than an old soft top that's for sure.

They will always be louder and feel more primitive, tho.

IMO most people don't drive enough for it to matter. My cousin is debating a classic vs a new mustang. His wife has a CRV and they drive it as a family car on trips. He only drives to work, on 35mph streets, 5 minutes from home in his car. I'm like dude...no contest. Old car.

Also the worst thing about driving an old car daily: you are deader than dead in a crash that's survivable in a more modern car. Classic cars are death traps in wrecks.

But fawk $10k paint on anything.

I agree. I love my classics, but for most trips and drives, I will take my '13. I have driven my GS across country, loved it. spent half a day fixing a bad fuel pump too...

Also on the safety thing- That always concerns me.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. I love my classics, but for most trips and drives, I will take my '13. I have driven my GS across country, loved it. spent half a day fixing a bad fuel pump too...

Also on the safety thing- That always concerns me.

Always blows my mind with people think the 'big american steel' was safer. New car design has its faults, but man, the crashes most vehicles can sustain now is just unreal.

I rent on any long drive where I won't be offroad driving and need my Tacoma. I'm such a frequent renter at my local Toyota dealership I get the corporate rate (and sometimes free upgrades!) and and it's entirely hassle free. I drive to KS for work semi-often and take 1-2 600+ mile roadtrips a year (austin, denver, new mexico, etc). I just call and they have me a car ready. Pretty nice not to have to worry about wear and tear on your own vehicle. I mean gotdamn my tires alone are well over $1,000 bucks for 4. Plus I get like 11mpg in my truck. I can triple that in a rental. No brainer to rent.

Renting is always an option for people that may want an older gas guzzler as a DD/semi-local adventure rig, but a newer car for long drives. Until you go somewhere need that old 4WD. Then you hum that mud-tired gas-guzzling sucker (with your tools packed) to wherever you're going. That's what I'll be doing in August (New Mejico). :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom