Need some guidance on a carry pistol.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Charlie. I took the Walther to Sgt. Everett's today. Nice little pistol. After getting two mags through the thing I got used to it and kept all 8 in the 7 to 10 rings at 10 yards. Put 100 rounds through it by the time I was about to melt. It was bloody hot inside the range today. Some minor annoyances with the PK. Nothing I cannot just get used to.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Off the top of my head I have bought and carried the following: Sig P239, Ruger LCP, Taurus 709, Ruger LCR, Glock G17, Kahr P9, S&W M&P9c, and yesterday I bought the new Ruger LC9. Why did I mention the above? Because one thing I can attest to is that if it isn't comfortable you won't carry it. I really liked my P239 but it was too heavy and killed my back after 8 or 9 hours. I came full circle and bought my M&P 9c forgetting the pain the P239 caused me due the weight. So I just bought the LC9 continuing my quest. Oh and the LCP was too small for my hands.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Charlie. I took the Walther to Sgt. Everett's today. Nice little pistol. After getting two mags through the thing I got used to it and kept all 8 in the 7 to 10 rings at 10 yards. Put 100 rounds through it by the time I was about to melt. It was bloody hot inside the range today. Some minor annoyances with the PK. Nothing I cannot just get used to.

What kind of holster did you end up with?

I've found that using a good belt and a good holster make a BIG difference with respect to comfort and concealment. I don't think you'll notice it as much with a gun as light as the PK380, but using a good belt has made a difference for me even with my airweight revolver.

SeaLevelRam

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like cowzrul demonstrates, don't forget this is not the only gun you can buy.

If you shoot it for a while and your tastes, opinion, needs change, you can sell it and buy something else.

I change what I carry with the seasons.

Winter jackets cover more then shorts and tee shirts....

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of holster did you end up with?

I've found that using a good belt and a good holster make a BIG difference with respect to comfort and concealment. I don't think you'll notice it as much with a gun as light as the PK380, but using a good belt has made a difference for me even with my airweight revolver.

I have not selected a holster as yet. I'm waiting for a friend to finish his shooting rage at his home then I'll get a private CCW class with shooting there.

I agree on good belts. I'm a big dude and I've been unhappy with crap belts.

I'm also open to suggestions on a holster although I have not figured out where I wish to carry the thing. IWB in the small of my back, shoulder, ankle, one of those 'smart carry' bags etc. I wear a lot of light clothes in the summer so this is a real concern for me.

Like cowzrul demonstrates, don't forget this is not the only gun you can buy.

If you shoot it for a while and your tastes, opinion, needs change, you can sell it and buy something else.

I change what I carry with the seasons.

Winter jackets cover more then shorts and tee shirts....

Good point. Thank you for that reminder.

I have no intention of this being my -only- handgun. Just what I felt would be good for a carry gun. I'll be getting other iron as time goes on and I can afford it.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not selected a holster as yet. I'm waiting for a friend to finish his shooting rage at his home then I'll get a private CCW class with shooting there.

It's a good thing that you're letting him get his shooting rage out of his system before heading over there :-P

I agree on good belts. I'm a big dude and I've been unhappy with crap belts.

I have a couple Looper's belts that are functionally excellent, but the finish has worn off my black belt pretty seriously after a year of almost-daily wear. I don't believe there's a better $50 gun belt though. I'm looking into a Beltman belt to replace it.

I'm also open to suggestions on a holster although I have not figured out where I wish to carry the thing.

Hybrid leather-kydex holsters (Comp-Tac MTAC, Crossbreed Supertuck) are very popular for a good reason. My MTAC is supremely comfortable, and you can buy MTAC kydex half-bodies for other guns so you can use your MTAC for another gun for only $50 shipped.

Latest posts

Top Bottom