Negligent Discharge?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally have not at a negligent discharge. Been shot twice. One was negligent, one was not. Negligent was a 12 gauge in the back and right arm hunting, by another hunter. The other was a 357 in the left leg, by a bad guy.

:shocked: I've been shot at but never hit ... :lookaroun It's a pretty sobering feeling to feel a bullet whiz past your head close enough to move your hair (I had "Farah Fassett" hair back then ... :P)

I've posted my story here about having .40 cal rounds in a .45 cal gun ... :lookaroun Do NOT pull boxes of ammo out of your range bag without putting on your reading glasses and taking a good look at what you are snagging ... :lookaroun

And I've torched off a shot a couple of different times when I would have sworn on a stack of Bibles the gun was outta rounds. Both times it was pointed downrange ... Even when I think my gun is empty I treat it like it's not ... I lost a classmate to a negligent discharge when I was in junior high school (middle school for you youngsters) ... I'll NEVER forget his parents at his funeral. His dad was the one responsible for what happened. Put what he thought was an unloaded shotgun in a box and wrapped it up for Ronnie's Christmas present. Ronnie's best friend pointed the gun at him and pulled the trigger. He bled out before the ambulance got there.

Honestly, I'm scared to death of guns. No, really ... it's why I will approach absolute strangers on a range and talk to them about what they are doing ... because God forbid I don't and they hurt themselves or someone else ... It's also why I was such a stickler for the rules when I worked at the range. I'm amazed at the number of folks who are the exact opposite.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had none thankfully. I did manage to pepper my buddy though with a shotgun. We had pretty well focked up a satellite dish with our shotguns, and I stepped off to the side of center for one shot, and the shot caught enough of the dish to do the full semi circle of it and kicked it back off to the other side towards us, and peppered his leg with a few. We were far enough away that it didn't even leave a red mark on him or anything, but it made us go bug eyed for a second, then laugh our asses off and called it a day. Now I can always say that I shot him, and he can say he's been shot.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put a .40S&W round through the floor of my trailer early this year... Picked up off my shelf, dropped the loaded mag, pointed at the floor and pulled the trigger to drop the striker. Oops. Didn't bother checking the chamber first. Felt kinda dumb, but it was in carpet and didn't show, so I took it as a lesson learned and moved on.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put a 9mm critical defense through the medicine cabinet. It was more like an unscheduled barrier penatration test. They are low flash and low recoil with minimum penatration as advertised!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are three kinds of shooters: those who've had a negligent discharge, those who haven't yet shot enough to have one, and those who lie about never having had one. ;)

What I was taught many moons ago is that anytime the firearm goes bang when you didn't expect (or intend for) it to go bang, that's a negligent discharge. Some people call that an "accidental discharge," but if you unintentionally/unexpectedly sent a round downrange, it was, IMHO, negligence, not an accident.

And yes, I've had one. Or three...

travisstorma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had none thankfully. I did manage to pepper my buddy though with a shotgun. We had pretty well focked up a satellite dish with our shotguns, and I stepped off to the side of center for one shot, and the shot caught enough of the dish to do the full semi circle of it and kicked it back off to the other side towards us, and peppered his leg with a few. We were far enough away that it didn't even leave a red mark on him or anything, but it made us go bug eyed for a second, then laugh our asses off and called it a day. Now I can always say that I shot him, and he can say he's been shot.
I had that happen, only we were shooting at a washing machine. I took one to the eye and it was one of the most scary incidents in my life.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope I did have someone have a ND walking in front of me with a shotgun. The barrel over his shoulder so that blast went just to the right of my head. It's a sensation that is really hard to describe and forget but fortunately it missed me and my hearing came back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom