Negligent Discharge?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruckerduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did. I pulled my s&w 357 mag out of the safe to fondle the new grips. I raised it, pointed it at the door from the garage into my wife's office, and pulled the trigger. BOOM! Scared the **** out of me. I forgot that it was loaded. If my wife would have been working at her desk it would have killed her. It went through her chair and lodged in the wooden desk. It took me a long time to stop shaking. I kept the bullet as a reminder, EVERY GUN IS LOADED dumbass!!!

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These stories of people actually pulling the trigger not expecting a bang...wow. what's the rule? Keep your finger off the trigger? I never dry fire a gun because to me its just a bad habit to start that could end poorly.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These stories of people actually pulling the trigger not expecting a bang...wow. what's the rule? Keep your finger off the trigger? I never dry fire a gun because to me its just a bad habit to start that could end poorly.

Dry firing is a nightly thing for most competition shooters that are serious. Develops the brain to get the gun out and on the target. In a game like USPSA or IDPA, milliseconds can make a win or 5th place.

Some call it muscle memory, others debunk that.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Many professional instructors are in favor of dry fire. You almost cannot win without it, depending on the type of competition you shoot.

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are three kinds of shooters: those who've had a negligent discharge, those who haven't yet shot enough to have one, and those who lie about never having had one. ;)

What I was taught many moons ago is that anytime the firearm goes bang when you didn't expect (or intend for) it to go bang, that's a negligent discharge. Some people call that an "accidental discharge," but if you unintentionally/unexpectedly sent a round downrange, it was, IMHO, negligence, not an accident.

And yes, I've had one. Or three...

My exact feelings between an AD and an ND... And no I've never had an ND I'm waaaay to OCD too. Over 100k rounds and not one... Knock on wood

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always considered any discharge not caused by a gun defect a negligent discharge just because if you are following good gun safety and your gun fires unintentionally, you did something wrong. Obviously if it's a gun issue and you don't know about it, then you aren't negligent but if you caused your gun to fire unintentionally for any reason it's negligence because you were negligent in not following good gun safety as much as it may hurt your pride. That does not include those unintentional second shots that sometime occur when recoil and light triggers cause a fast second shot but pretty much anything else not related to a malfunction.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dry firing is a nightly thing for most competition shooters that are serious. Develops the brain to get the gun out and on the target. In a game like USPSA or IDPA, milliseconds can make a win or 5th place.

Some call it muscle memory, others debunk that.

Many professional instructors are in favor of dry fire. You almost cannot win without it, depending on the type of competition you shoot.
I get that for training, none of these stories were people training. I imagine if your practicing the draw/fire, your going to do a chamber check and not draw and point at your house right? Mmmkay.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Obviously if it's a gun issue and you don't know about it, then you aren't negligent but if you caused your gun to fire unintentionally for any reason it's negligence because you were negligent in not following good gun safety as much as it may hurt your pride
Unless you blow a new window in your buddy because you were pointing it at him when the gun went off? yeah.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I get that for training, none of these stories were people training. I imagine if your practicing the draw/fire, your going to do a chamber check and not draw and point at your house right? Mmmkay.

It kind of seems to me that you are trying to get your troll on......

Latest posts

Top Bottom