New Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those make great trail rigs. I hear people complain about power on them, and land cruisers too. But I don't get it. They have plenty of power as long as you aren't drag racing it. And if that's your thing, there are better options than a 5k pound 4wd.

I think the reasonable power is one of the reasons they run so many miles. HP is hard on everything.

Looks good, enjoy.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The center diff lock feature sends firm equal power to front and rear when engaged, but they’re still open differentials. The E locker totally locks the rear axel when it’s engaged. To the point you can’t even make a turn on pavement. It effectively gives you true 3 wheel drive.

Lockers are not very common.. But the way differentials work, your average 4x4 vehicle is realistically closer to 2wd, one front wheel and rear wheel, because the open differentials will always transfer the power toward the wheel with the least resistance. This gives the ability to make turns on pavement while 4x4 is engaged, among other things. It can also lead to you getting stuck in the trails where a locked diff will crawl right through muddy off-camber situations

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Locked differentials are a great feature, it can add to the collectibility of the old Toyotas, but if you’re not doing serious off Roading you’ll never need it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom