New to 10/22s what to upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKJ20

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buy a receiver and build it. Leave the your current 10/22 alone.

This is what, i should have done. If i buy a receiver i can put my old 10/22 back together.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok here is what I'm thinking.

Kidd firing pin
Kidd extractor
Kidd charging handle
Kidd bolt buffer
I'm torn on a Kidd trigger kit or a drop in trigger
On the bolt mods I don't know what I want to do get a Kidd bolt of mail mine off to get worked (it is the 50th anniversary)
Threaded bull barrel of sorts
A fancy stock (yet to decide)
Optic (yet to decide)

Some of the stuff I'm not sure of is
What's the v block do and why are there "upgraded ones".
Is the factory scope mount worth putting on or should I get a new one.
Should I upgrade the mag latch or is that a waste of $10
And the auto bolt release should I do that mod or just buy a new one.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
The most noticeable and important upgrade (in my experience) was simple and inexpensive. Bolt release and target hammer http://www.midwayusa.com/product/92...arget-hammer-ruger-10-22?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Other brands are available but I have put two of these in. Greatly improved trigger and function for less than $40. My favorite set up is the simple Appleseed Liberty training rifle. Bolt release, target hammer, Techsights, and a sling.

The best source of ideas and information I know of is at http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php
More than you may want to know.

Best advice so far right here.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is your budget? If you build a high end 10/22 from parts, it's going to be very expensive. Here is an example of a "modest" high-end build.

Receiver $150
Bolt $100
Stock $100
Barrel $200
Small Parts $40
Trigger $200
Guide Rod/Bolt Handle $30
Total = $820

If on a budget, I would send the barrel/bolt to Que and have him work over both parts. I would bed the stock. And finally, I would send the trigger to Brimstone for a tier 2 job. I would also look into getting a polymer bolt buffer and possible a KIDD handle kit. This would probably cost around $250.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is your budget? If you build a high end 10/22 from parts, it's going to be very expensive. Here is an example of a "modest" high-end build.

Receiver $150
Bolt $100
Stock $100
Barrel $200
Small Parts $40
Trigger $200
Total = $820

If on a budget, I would send the barrel/bolt to Que and have him work over both parts. I would bed the stock. And finally, I would send the trigger to Brimstone for a tier 2 job. I would also look into getting a polymer bolt buffer and possible a KIDD handle kit. This would probably cost around $250.

And you haven't bought the scope yet.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The most noticeable and important upgrade (in my experience) was simple and inexpensive. Bolt release and target hammer http://www.midwayusa.com/product/92...arget-hammer-ruger-10-22?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Other brands are available but I have put two of these in. Greatly improved trigger and function for less than $40. My favorite set up is the simple Appleseed Liberty training rifle. Bolt release, target hammer, Techsights, buffer and a sling.

The best source of ideas and information I know of is at http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php
More than you may want to know.

I have looked at rfc some it's almost overwhelming with info

What about this instead of that hammer kit (I would add the tuning springs)
http://www.kiddinnovativedesign.com...-Sear-Disconnect-and-Trigger-blade_p_116.html

Buy a receiver and build it. Leave the your current 10/22 alone.

This is what, i should have done. If i buy a receiver i can put my old 10/22 back together.

I had thought of that in the past and I may do that in the future but for now I want to part by part upgrade and I will save all the factory parts.

Receiver $150
Bolt $100
Stock $100
Barrel $200
Small Parts $40
Trigger $200
Total = $820

I was thinking about sending the trigger to him but I'm also thinking about one of the kits that have been posted what would yield the best result.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also for scope would the vortex crossfire II be a suitable scope that's not over/ under kill, I mean these guns only have a top range of 125' but I will probably keep it around the 25-50' range.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure the Crossfire II would be alright, but I would give the Primary Arms scopes a look. In my opinion, they are a little better than the low end Vortex scopes. I don't have any super expensive optics on my 10/22 pattern rifles. The KIDD drop in kit is really good for the money, but I would still send it to Brimstone instead. The tier 2 job is really pretty nice and they have super customer service.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the primary vs vortex the primary's have 1-3 year warranty vs the lifetime warranty and I do like that.

I'll look into brimstone vs the Kidd kit, I do like tinkering with my own stuff.

Simon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started the one thing at a time 10/22 conversion in 2006, I finished in 2012 and I no longer have a Ruger, I have a Kidd that shoots .25 inch at 50 yds. with target grade ammo. Total cost, about.. $1200 including scope. Unless you want to shoot benchrest or some other target game you don,t need to change every thing. I use mine most of the time to shoot vermin and the original 10/22 will do that. The barrel change and a bedding will do the most for accuracy. Read RFC and go with the less expensive up grades.

Latest posts

Top Bottom