New to 10/22s what to upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picked up a 10/22 and now I want to trick it out per say but need ideas. I have heard Kidd and vq are the go to for the new parts for this. Here are some questions I have.

First I was thinking about a scope, do I roll with the base it came with or do I get a different one? Also what kind of scope is good and not worth 3 time the cost of the gun.

Next up on the upgrades would be the guts, I'm thinking the Kidd buffer, firing pin and extractor.

Finally down the line are a trigger upgrade (drop in or a kit) and a bull barrel.

Any one have any suggestions on must haves or general tips for this guy, I saw some one mentioned the "bolt mod" and that made it quieter but I couldn't find any specs on that.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
KIDD stuff is great, but it is easy to end up spending 4 times more for the upgrades than the original gun. I have done pretty much every upgrade possible to them. I would send the bolt off to be radiused and pinned. Either get a new barrel or send the stock one off to be redone. I would get the KIDD drop in kit for the polymer trigger housing. Buy a KIDD bolt handle and guide rod. I would also do something to float the barrel and bed the receiver. The Millett or Primary Arms scopes are good and relatively cheap. PM me with specifics on where I would send the bolt/barrel.

Last edited:

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bolt. I spelled it wrong and didn't catch it. Having it pinned and radiused is more of a reliability/function modification than anything. You will also want to get a aftermarket bolt buffer. They are cheap and will help reduce noise and receiver wear.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That sky is too high, I want it to resemble a 10/22.

The most noticeable and important upgrade (in my experience) was simple and inexpensive. Bolt release and target hammer http://www.midwayusa.com/product/92...arget-hammer-ruger-10-22?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Other brands are available but I have put two of these in. Greatly improved trigger and function for less than $40. My favorite set up is the simple Appleseed Liberty training rifle. Bolt release, target hammer, Techsights, buffer and a sling.

The best source of ideas and information I know of is at http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php
More than you may want to know.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom