Not Enough Feathers on this Board

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went on a pheasant hunt in Concordia, Kansas Saturday. The best part....one of my vendors took me and paid for everything. We had some great meals and shot a bunch of birds. This was a released bird hunt and the first of those I had ever done, but I was pleasantly surprised with how good the birds flew and the action. We had guides with dogs and the dog work was amazing. This was the first time I had hunted around the Vizsla breed and they were impressive. I accused the guide of letting a couple of red bone coon hounds out of his box when we got to the field and he told me what they were and that I was going to be impressed. They were awesome. Pointed and retrieved wonderfully. It was cold and windy all day but the action kept us warm. I brought 10 birds home for the frying pan...that the guides cleaned for me. Did I say it was an awesome hunt?????

Dang Lonnie! Thats a mess of birds! I haven't seen that many pheasant in two years. I'm not sure my britt even knows what a pheasant is any more. Congrats on a good hunt!

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was only the second or third time I've ever field hunted for waterfowl...............all I can say is that I've been missing out! As the duck flies, it's only about 5 miles to ponds where we've been hunting and not seeing much, I guess I know why!

9 out of 10 of my waterfowl hunts are in a field. you can't beat it. You don't need waders as long as it isn't a muddy mess and did I mention that you don't need waders? I enjoy a good traditional water set, but I love to field hunt.

What you guys experience is pretty normal with ducks and field hunting. Hunting them in the evening is usually far more productive than hunting them in the morning. The colder it is, the better the field hunting will be for ducks.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea those goonie bird hunts certainly are fun! Not near as challenging as working up wild birds, but still a blast! The price of pen raised pheasants these days is ridiculous and the price of those hunts show it! Although I have one planned for February in KS myself, its about the only upland work my Gordon gets these days!

Here's a pic from this weekend.
www.hunt101.com_data_500_medium_waterfowl.jpg

Another one from earlier in the year here in NE with my Gordon
www.hunt101.com_data_500_pheasants4.jpg

PAINT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went on a pheasant hunt in Concordia, Kansas Saturday. The best part....one of my vendors took me and paid for everything. We had some great meals and shot a bunch of birds. This was a released bird hunt and the first of those I had ever done, but I was pleasantly surprised with how good the birds flew and the action. We had guides with dogs and the dog work was amazing. This was the first time I had hunted around the Vizsla breed and they were impressive. I accused the guide of letting a couple of red bone coon hounds out of his box when we got to the field and he told me what they were and that I was going to be impressed. They were awesome. Pointed and retrieved wonderfully. It was cold and windy all day but the action kept us warm. I brought 10 birds home for the frying pan...that the guides cleaned for me. Did I say it was an awesome hunt?????

Can't beat a free hunt! I'm jealous.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

When and if my ol lab finally gives it up, I have seriously considered getting a vizsla. As far as looks go, IMO they are a gorgeous dog. Done some research on them, and they are in the running, but I hope my dog outlives me so I never have to make that decision.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to Lexington the past few days and never saw a single duck on any of the ponds I went to. Drove out to Thunderbird and take a peek a day or two ago and saw a few dozen hanging around, but it was after legal shooting hours.

I've been squirrel hunting at Lexington several times this month and have seen ducks at nearly every pond I come to. Just last week I saw about two dozen teal on two different ponds I visited, just to see how low they've gotten. It's a shame all I had was my .22. There's 3 in particular that almost ALWAYS have ducks on 'em.

Tumbleweed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made it out for possibly the last duck hunt of the season today. I only got 2, but one was an awesome drake Pintail. He is already in the freezer, so I can send him to the Taxidermist. The guy that took me out shot a limit and his son got 3. It was a great day of hunting and dog work.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Field hunted again yesterday afternoon, 1 mallard and 2 widgeon.................................hundreds flew in after shooting time.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went out east yesterday. Had birds landing in water a few hundred yards away so we picked up and moved over there, then no more birds appeared. The afternoon hunt we saw hundreds of birds pick up from one area and circle until they dropped back in. We set up quickly and waited, but most birds were decoy and call shy. Even with silence, the birds were going around us. Managed 4 gadwall.

Latest posts

Top Bottom