NRA and OK2A work against open carry in parks and zoos.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
"That was part of a deal cut with the Senate, wanting to deal with parks. Currently, you can open carry and conceal carry inside parks and zoos. The deal that was cut with Oklahoma City, Tulsa, the NRA and OK2A (Oklahoma Second Amendment Association), is to get rid of open carry in parks and zoos. Continue to allow conceal carry in parks and zoos," said House Floor Leader Rep. Jon Echols, R-Oklahoma City, who ran both bills. "That's part of the entire idea between why this constitutional carry bill is different than constitutional carry bills in years past, because there were significant concessions made by all parties to come up with something that's workable."

https://kfor.com/2019/02/28/bill-pr...ng-of-firearms-in-parks-zoos-heads-to-senate/

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"That was part of a deal cut with the Senate, wanting to deal with parks. Currently, you can open carry and conceal carry inside parks and zoos. The deal that was cut with Oklahoma City, Tulsa, the NRA and OK2A (Oklahoma Second Amendment Association), is to get rid of open carry in parks and zoos. Continue to allow conceal carry in parks and zoos," said House Floor Leader Rep. Jon Echols, R-Oklahoma City, who ran both bills. "That's part of the entire idea between why this constitutional carry bill is different than constitutional carry bills in years past, because there were significant concessions made by all parties to come up with something that's workable."

https://kfor.com/2019/02/28/bill-pr...ng-of-firearms-in-parks-zoos-heads-to-senate/

The key part Echols' comment does not include is that this applies only to those facilities run by public trusts. The main offenders of 2A rights were the OKC Zoo and The Gathering Place park in Tulsa. They claimed their status as a public trust allowed them to bypass the SDA requirement on carry in parks. This compromise addressed a particular sticking point for the facilities, open carry in the park around families & children. Concealed carry remains lawful and out of their purview to restrict. As explained by Don Spencer at last night's OK2A Tulsa meeting, the compromise was agreed to so that those who choose to have firearms available for personal defense could continue to do so without interference by the park or police. The theme behind the approach is "incrementalism" while retaining the right to self-defense with the appropriate tool of your personal choice.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not see a problem with restricting open carry in venues where it isn't necessary. 70% of the folks I see open carrying probably shouldn't have a firearm anyway. No need to carry your pistol in a thigh rig while pushing your daughter on the swing at the park. I seen that. If you think the park is that dangerous put a swing up in your back yard. And it doesn't have anything to do with exercising your 2nd amendment rights. It all has to do with people trying to send a message "Hey! Look at me I'm Billy Badass!"

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not see a problem with restricting open carry in venues where it isn't necessary. 70% of the folks I see open carrying probably shouldn't have a firearm anyway. No need to carry your pistol in a thigh rig while pushing your daughter on the swing at the park. I seen that. If you think the park is that dangerous put a swing up in your back yard. And it doesn't have anything to do with exercising your 2nd amendment rights. It all has to do with people trying to send a message "Hey! Look at me I'm Billy Badass!"

Tell me.... where do you "need" it, in your opinion? Just curious... in your opinion.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a hint for those that want to open carry, do not try to look like Rambo. It just scares the uninformed and makes the informed laugh at you. 1st, Yes. 2nd Not so much. It is your choice but outside of the zombie apocalypse look 2 is ridicules.

Pistols 7.jpg Shotgun.jpg

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I should mention that if it did not look so out of place my preferred method of open carry, and what I wear to the gun range when picking up brass at night, is a stainless 6in 357 in a hunter holster on a western look gun belt. Great for out in the country at night when I need to watch for snakes, rabid skunks and wild hogs, not so great for Walmart.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Agreed. 100% of the people I see open carrying look like pussy b1tches that want to put the image out that they're tough.
To me, they all look like victims that want to get their guns and wallets taken.

Latest posts

Top Bottom