Obama Reveals True Disregard for Consitution in Jobs Speech.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
language is defined by what people say so yeah what's "common" is pretty important

And here the whole time I thought definitions of words were found in a dictionary. Where did I go wrong? I read the manual instead of listening to "what people say". No wonder I do not understand commonness. i favor that which is uncommon. It is less boring.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny but I was talking about the lefties efforts to silence the Tea Party, Foxnews and anyone else who does not agree with them.

Exactly and strangely enough, none of the elected officials are in favor of having one. :D

They just are not willing to gamble that the Departments of Re-Education have completed their mission......yet. However, there are signs right here it is somewhat effective.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when did i call anyone a name? if you're going to say something that is wrong i'm going to tell you it's wrong. i never called anyone stupid or ugly.

oh right i called someone a ninny. who gets mad over being called a ninny?

right, that which was previously unseen on OSA has now been exposed.

Captain Fuzzybritches

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You may have something there. For example, I do not understand the above comment.

how do people decide what goes in the dictionary? you are aware that definitions of words change over time, right?

language constantly evolves. i don't care what it says in the dictionary, if i use a word and i'm understood then that's the correct definition of the word.

what were we arguing about again? we got derailed.

i like beer

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
how do people decide what goes in the dictionary? you are aware that definitions of words change over time, right?

language constantly evolves. i don't care what it says in the dictionary, if i use a word and i'm understood then that's the correct definition of the word.

what were we arguing about again? we got derailed.

i like beer

It appears we should start our own thread.

It appears that the core of the discussion is about evolution. While I don't decide what goes in the dictionary, I rely on the SMEs on language who do decide. I am aware that word meanings change, but that is akin to the 'living' v 'static' discussion. IMO, if you need a new word, create one. If you change the meaning, and the change is not communicated, the result is much like the Tower of Babel.

The fundamental difference is that I do RTFM and care what the dictionary, document, or instructions say. If they require changes, so be it, but change should never exist solely for the convenience of a few dissenters.

My point: You were not understood because we differed in comprehension of the meaning of a word or phrase. Your correct is not necessarily the next guy's correct. Ergo, the dictionary.

Were we arguing? Lets argue about beer. PBR. Go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom