OHP shooting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It would be nice to see the whole video. Hopefully it will be forthcoming with an Open Records Act request. I would also like to hear the surviving brother's version of the events.

The brother's version (if accurately conveyed in this article) is already compromised by the video.

He claims he had no idea what was going on and he didn't come out of the water until after his brother had already been shot. So, he was either so drunk he really doesn't know, or he's a liar....again if that really was his story from jail.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...roopers-to-fatally-shoot-an-assistant-pastor/

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I'd have been that Trooper's partner I'd have told him to STFU. Nothing like throwing gas on a fire and then getting mad when the wind blows the flames back on ya.

That's a mature way of handling it. It is good to move beyond deciding to try someone for murder or not to why did it have to get to that point.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The brother's version (if accurately conveyed in this article) is already compromised by the video.

He claims he had no idea what was going on and he didn't come out of the water until after his brother had already been shot. So, he was either so drunk he really doesn't know, or he's a liar....again if that really was his story from jail.

That story is totally false with the video. He was even gesturing at the OHP with his hands up. Speculation only, but he was not saying good evening, have a nice day.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think two brothers went out to fish and have fun or whatever, drank all day, had drunk tempers, ******* cop wouldn't let up when they were frustrated.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ain't saying it's the right thing to do, but the proper response for a fist fight is not a bullet to the head. UK cops don't even carry guns and ours can't seem to keep their hands off theirs. Maybe they should try out a collapsible baton every once in awhile instead of going straight for the Glock?

I have mixed feelings...I've not watched the video yet, but I partly feel that a hot headed guy you are forcing to leave his property instead of letting a 35yr old man make his own decision, still doesn't warrant a bullet...Especially if you have already run the guy and know he isn't a convict and you have backup there. That is what less than lethal should be for...a tazer or something.

HOWEVER, if you take the "police" aspect out of it...with my bad back, I should not be expected to take on a 25yr old 250lb man in a Wal-Mart parking lot if he attacks...What if I lose? What if he takes my gun? What if he puts me in a coma? What if he has a knife? I think stand your ground should apply to reasonable extent for citizens for sure and also for the police but maybe to a lesser degree since they have backup, tazers, physical fitness, pepper spray, batons, etc that the avg citizen doesn't have. Citizens are not expected to "protect and serve" The police should only use deadly force as a last resort...if this cop did it first, and he didn't have to kill the guy, then he is wrong! Sometimes due to the training and professionalism, the cop should be the one to take the high road...but I do not expect cops to not be able to go home...I have not watched vid yet, but it sounds like the "legal" justification may have been there, but he still may not have had to kill the guy...why not just leave two grown men alone if they are not hurting others? This might be a difficult one to call based on what everyone is saying but I wish they'd have used something else if they could have. But I wasn't there...cop doesn't have to let someone hurt him either...this sucks!

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Things would go a lot smoother if 18-55 year-old males, in and out of uniform, would stop acting like they are getting their dicks stepped on every minute of every day.

Sent from my meh, using my meh.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings...I've not watched the video yet, but I partly feel that a hot headed guy you are forcing to leave his property instead of letting a 35yr old man make his own decision, still doesn't warrant a bullet...Especially if you have already run the guy and know he isn't a convict and you have backup there. That is what less than lethal should be for...a tazer or something.

HOWEVER, if you take the "police" aspect out of it...with my bad back, I should not be expected to take on a 25yr old 250lb man in a Wal-Mart parking lot if he attacks...What if I lose? What if he takes my gun? What if he puts me in a coma? What if he has a knife? I think stand your ground should apply to reasonable extent for citizens for sure and also for the police but maybe to a lesser degree since they have backup, tazers, physical fitness, pepper spray, batons, etc that the avg citizen doesn't have. Citizens are not expected to "protect and serve" The police should only use deadly force as a last resort...if this cop did it first, and he didn't have to kill the guy, then he is wrong! Sometimes due to the training and professionalism, the cop should be the one to take the high road...but I do not expect cops to not be able to go home...I have not watched vid yet, but it sounds like the "legal" justification may have been there, but he still may not have had to kill the guy...why not just leave two grown men alone if they are not hurting others? This might be a difficult one to call based on what everyone is saying but I wish they'd have used something else if they could have. But I wasn't there...cop doesn't have to let someone hurt him either...this sucks!

Watch the video.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you are open carrying.

the police beatup people all the time while they are open carrying...the guy made bad choices...this is not a cut & dry incident...but like I said previously, the legal justification was probably there but I wonder if they should have at least waited to shoot if they guy went for the gun since we all know he probably wouldn't have. I've seen lots of vids where cops tell someone who has a weapon to put it down and don't shoot them....if the gun was on his side in a legal open carry state, it should not warrant killing them if they DO NOT use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom