OHP UNION thinks only LEO's should be allowed to carry weapons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Sorry, but it's their association. If they disagree with the "official voice" of the troopers themselves, perhaps they should let that be known publicly? Until then, I'm forced to believe that they oppose law abiding citizens fully exercising their 2nd Amendment rights like those in 43 other states can.

They could but they won't.

Even some on this board would sell us out because they don't like it.

Some animals are more equal than others.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who cares what the Troopers' union thinks about any issue except Troopers' labor issues?

I like my union but I don't really care what they think about open carry. I care that they fight for my rights and hold my employer and superiors accountable for breaking the rules.

I personally think open carry is a bad idea and don't support it but I don't really oppose it either.

If someone believes that such a position is denying citizens their 2nd Amendment rights, then we shall simply have to agree to disagree.

If our state government decides that open carry is the way things shall be, so be it. Personally I'm satisfied with concealed carry for myself or any other citizen.

Michael Brown

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
C'mon.........

Are you simply trying to create dissension?

I'm pretty confident that the cops here conceal their weapons when they are out of uniform. I'm not quite sure how that equates to an "us vs. them" situation.

Michael Brown

The difference being: If an LEO accidentally "prints" or exposes his firearm because his shirt rides up, he/she doesn't get in trouble. Non-LEO can be punished for this so called "crime".

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, but it's their association. If they disagree with the "official voice" of the troopers themselves, perhaps they should let that be known publicly? Until then, I'm forced to believe that they oppose law abiding citizens fully exercising their 2nd Amendment rights like those in 43 other states can.

Perhaps Glock Cop could enlighten us?

That post was in response to the earlier comment about the "OHP stooping that low"....Point is it's not fair to claim the "OHP" is stooping that low, any more than the FOP taking a stance on something means we can blame OCPD, or the UAW taking a position on something and us blaming Ford etc...The Troopers Association is not the OHP nor is it an official branch/department thereof.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I personally think open carry is a bad idea and don't support it but I don't really oppose it either.

Michael Brown

This is close to my thoughts on the subject also.

Though I think it a bad idea, I also recognize it as a right.

When I hear the "printing" arguement, I cant help but think of it as an excuse for justifying the use of crappy holsters.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The difference being: If an LEO accidentally "prints" or exposes his firearm because his shirt rides up, he/she doesn't get in trouble. Non-LEO can be punished for this so called "crime".

How so?

The statute authorizing a peace officer to carry a firearm says nothing about allowing open carry and says the weapon must be concealed from view.

Essentially the same issue as an SDA license holder.

There is nothing in Title 21 that authorizes an off-duty police officer to "print" or expose his/her firearm.

Michael Brown

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That post was in response to the earlier comment about the "OHP stooping that low"....Point is it's not fair to claim the "OHP" is stooping that low, any more than the FOP taking a stance on something means we can blame OCPD, or the UAW taking a position on something and us blaming Ford etc...The Troopers Association is not the OHP nor is it an official branch/department thereof.

I would actually understand if politically appointed brass used the office to curry political favor. But the union IS the rank and file troopers. If their union is endorsing political positions they don't agree with, it's their fault for allowing it. Elect different union officers if necessary, but accept responsibility for your representatives.

OHP didn't kneecap open carry. The troopers themselves did via their union mouthpiece. :(

FWIW, I agree with Mike that open carry is generally a bad idea. I simply believe in the option to decide for ones self.

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would actually understand if politically appointed brass used the office to curry political favor. But the union IS the rank and file troopers. If their union is endorsing political positions they don't agree with, it's their fault for allowing it. Elect different union officers if necessary, but accept responsibility for your representatives.

OHP didn't kneecap open carry. The troopers themselves did via their union mouthpiece. :(

FWIW, I agree with Mike that open carry is generally a bad idea. I simply believe in the option to decide for ones self.

Here, here :clap3:

well stated...

I for one like open carry, I like to open carry when I fish, or hunt, or camp and backpack.... does not really have any place for me when I am having dinner with my wife and daughter in a restaurant though, I will still carry concealed.... I am excited about the idea of not having to hide my gun while fishing in a farm pond, or bow hunting in the woods...

I personally believe no should have to have a license to openly and freely carry as it is all ready our right protected by the second amendment keep and bear arms (bear arms means carry).... To carry concealed is a privilege though, not a right... in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom