onion question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should pull the ones blooming and use them for green onions. If you'll notice the center bolt that actually grows up to make the bloom will be growing all the way through the onion head to the very bottom. If you let the onion grow and mature and then harvest them later this seed stalk will cause the onion to rot almost instantly. When you cut up the onion you'll be able to see the stalk that I'm talking about.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just bend/break off the flowering top. They should stay alive and continue to grow.

This is what my Grandad taught me to do.

Put out sets on Good Friday and bend over the tops on Memorial Day. ????????????

Always had a great onion crop, so I do it.

All I ever learned, worth knowing, was from Grandpa and Dad. (RIP) :crying:

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should pull the ones blooming and use them for green onions. If you'll notice the center bolt that actually grows up to make the bloom will be growing all the way through the onion head to the very bottom. If you let the onion grow and mature and then harvest them later this seed stalk will cause the onion to rot almost instantly. When you cut up the onion you'll be able to see the stalk that I'm talking about.

I know the thick stalk you're talking about, some of them had one some of them didnt. I broke a couple of the smaller ones off just to see what happens. I planted something like 200 onion sets I did not expect all of them to live.... most of them have. I will have no shortage of onions LOL I use the green stalks for chives, just cut them off and use them fresh or dehydrate for storage. They work great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom