Open Carry Bill Introducted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
SB1092 has been introduced into the Oklahoma Sentate. It seems the way it is currenty written, you'd have to pay for a 10 year permit to open carry and your CCW permit would NOT qualify.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jeebus.... yet another ADDITIONAL tax to be able to open-carry?

So.... one permit to carry concealed, one permit to carry open... what happens if you're open-carrying and put on a coat, then it's concealed, but you don't have your concealed permit? Is that concealing when you're only permitted open carry? I mean come on... let's get some dang common sense here, folks!!!!

<edit> I see S.B. 1092 from 2007 amending S.B. 357-TRS which has to do with employer tax contributions to the Teacher's Retirement System. I'll keep looking for full text.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Jeebus.... yet another ADDITIONAL tax to be able to open-carry?

So.... one permit to carry concealed, one permit to carry open... what happens if you're open-carrying and put on a coat, then it's concealed, but you don't have your concealed permit? Is that concealing when you're only permitted open carry? I mean come on... let's get some dang common sense here, folks!!!!

<edit> I see S.B. 1092 from 2007 amending S.B. 357-TRS which has to do with employer tax contributions to the Teacher's Retirement System. I'll keep looking for full text.

"Paying to have to utilize your 2nd Amendment rights to the fullest extent is not infringement, bro."

-Government

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is what I found,

STATE OF OKLAHOMA

2nd Session of the 53rd Legislature (2012)

SENATE BILL 1092 By: Russell

AS INTRODUCED

An Act relating to the Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971; amending 21 O.S. 2011, Section 1289.6, which relates to conditions under which firearms may be carried; updating references; adding condition for carrying a firearm; and providing an effective date.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA
SECTION 1. AMENDATORY 21 O.S. 2011, Section 1289.6, is amended to read as follows:
Section 1289.6.
CONDITIONS UNDER WHICH FIREARMS MAY BE CARRIED
A. A person shall be permitted to carry loaded and unloaded shotguns, rifles and pistols, open and not concealed and without a handgun license as authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 25 of this act, pursuant to the following conditions:
1. When hunting animals or fowl;
2. During competition in or practicing in a safety or hunter safety class, target shooting, skeet, trap or other recognized sporting events;
3. During participation in or in preparation for a military function of the state military forces to be defined as the Oklahoma Army or Air National Guard, Federal Military Reserve and active military forces;
4. During participation in or in preparation for a recognized police function of either a municipal, county or state government as functioning police officials;
5. During a practice for or a performance for entertainment purposes; or
6. When:
a. issued a document in this state by an individual certified as a National Rifle Association instructor or authorized as an instructor for the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act. The issuer shall retain the records for all documents issued pursuant to this paragraph for ten (10) years, and nothing in this paragraph shall make issuers liable to any person for any claim of damages as a result of issuing a document pursuant to this paragraph. The document shall conform to the following requirements:
(1) a size of three and one-fourth (3 1/4) inches in length and two and one-fourth (2 1/4) inches in height,
(2) a statement on the front of the document that:
(a) the undersigned has been instructed and understands the open carry laws of Oklahoma, and
(b) the undersigned has been instructed and understands the safe use and handling of firearms,
(3) a designated place for the signature of the holder, and
(4) the back of the document contains the full printed name of the issuer, and
b. the firearm is carried in a holster that is wholly or partially visible or in a scabbard or case designed for carrying firearms that is wholly or partially visible and the person is twenty-one (21) years of age or older. Notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.13 of this title, a person complying with the requirements of this subparagraph may transport the firearm in a vehicle in a manner provided by this subparagraph. Any person who carries a firearm in the manner provided for in this subparagraph shall be prohibited from carrying the firearm into any of the places prescribed in subsection A of Section 1277 of this title; or
7. For any legitimate purpose not in violation of the Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971, Sections 1289.1 through 1289.17 of this title or any legislative enactment regarding the use, ownership and control of firearms.
B. A person shall be permitted to carry unloaded shotguns, rifles and pistols, open and not concealed and without a handgun license as authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act pursuant to the following conditions:
1. When going to or from the person's private residence or vehicle or a vehicle in which the person is riding as a passenger to a place designated or authorized for firearms repairs or reconditioning, or for firearms trade, sale, or barter, or gunsmith, or hunting animals or fowl, or hunter safety course, or target shooting, or skeet or trap shooting or any recognized firearms activity or event and while in such places; or
2. For any legitimate purpose not in violation of the Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971, Sections 1289.1 through 1289.17 of this title.
C. The provisions of this section shall not be construed to prohibit educational or recreational activities, exhibitions, displays or shows involving the use or display of rifles, shotguns or pistols or other weapons if the activity is approved by the property owner and sponsor of the activity.
SECTION 2. This act shall become effective November 1, 2012.

53-2-1939 LKS 1/17/2012 3:43:14 PM

GForce89

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
so basically everyone of us that already has a ccw would have to pay to take another ridiculous class and then pay another ridiculous amount of money to carry another little card so that we have the ability to carry open if we so desire? Well guys I'll lube you if you lube me because it sounds like we are all gonna have to bend over and take it if we want open carry.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will continue to CCW because I really don’t want anyone to know that I'm carrying. Since I carry IWB the wording in this wouldn't really protect me from inadvertently printing/brandishing when tying my shoes etc. because my holster isn’t designed to be even partially visible. Not that that really happens to me but I would like some degree of protection from that. What really would be nice is specific language that said CCW Permit holders can carry open, concealed or anything in-between.

Latest posts

Top Bottom