Open carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what we get in Oklahoma,
Guns in Capitol?
Meanwhile, Rep. Wade Rousselot, D-Okay, on Thursday was successful in getting an amendment that would have allowed lawmakers to carry guns into the Capitol stripped from his gun bill.
“I think tempers would flare and sooner or later someone would just pull one out and take a shot at somebody because they are so passionate about what somebody is proposing in law or trying to take away,” Rousselot said.

Read more: http://newsok.com/governor-supports-open-carry-concept/article/3550097#ixzz1HGDWzHCc

Yet in Texas a CCW is a fastl ane into the capitol building in Austin.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/stat...rs-bypass-texas-capitol_s-metal-detectors.ece

AUSTIN, Texas - Everyone from lobbyists to lawyers and journalists is rushing to get permits to carry guns inside the Texas Capitol, where legislators already often tote pistols in boots and purses or stow them away inside their desks.

A unique loophole in a new security procedure means a gun permit is like a special-access pass into the domed building, allowing people who are certified to carry a gun to bypass lines at the metal detectors that were set up after a shooting incident earlier this year.

"Nobody wants to be the one standing in line behind three hundred kids wearing the same colored T-shirt," said University of Texas political scientist Jim Henson. "If you're trying to get in and out really quick and there's going to be choke points, well, people don't want to have to deal with that."

There's now a frenzy for folks to get trained and licensed to carry a firearm, especially before the legislative session begins in January. It's not required that people have a gun to enter the Capitol through the express lane. Merely holding a valid permit, and presenting it at the entrance, will get them expedited entry.

Peacemaker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, I don't think there should be special rules for the lawmakers. If we can't carry in there then I don't think they should be able to either. And if they don't want to allow me to exercise my liberty to open carry I don't see why anyone should be worried about the Nazi's in the capitol.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Furthermore I wasn’t aware that only people of a certain age have the privilege of human rights. When one turns 21 do they somehow inherit maturity, and character, do they suddenly have a great sense of morality? Why is it that 18-year-olds can fight to defend their country, even die for it, but aren’t trusted to carry a gun until they turn 21? Chris Griffin

All though I agree somewhat with your response, I must point out that the 18yr old men and women that are chosen to fight for this country receive extensive firearm training before they are allowed to carry a rifle/pistol and use it to defend this country. It seems when the same restriction is placed on people who have chosen not to enter the military "all hell breaks loose" about infringing on our rights.

And I wasn't aware that an 18yr old could buy a firearm other than a rifle. I know that you are allowed to own one if it is given by a parent, but unless they plan on changing the age in one of the HB to allow 18yr old citizens to purchase handguns, I guess it's a moot point on being allowed to carry at 18.

My son has shot with me for years and has demonstrated a very clear understanding of firearm safety and the inherent dangers of owning a firearm. I still wasn't comfortable giving him his first handgun until he turned 21. And yes, I noticed a change in how mature and responsible he became as he left high school and started his career.

I am not saying that my beliefs and situation are the same for everyone. I just hope people will stop using the "why can an 18yr old defend our country but can buy beer or handguns" argument. To me it seems to degrade the sacrifice these young men and women have given to be in the military. Because in my eyes they are better trained and more mature than the majority of the 18yr olds I see everyday. JMO

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I agree w/ the above 100%.

BTW, I believe 18+ can buy pistols, just not from an FFL?

I hope my 19yr doesn't find this out.. :scream: He is a good example why someone under 21 doesn't need to own a firearm, period.. :-(

It is amazing what different personalities can come from the same loins... :disappoin

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, I don't think there should be special rules for the lawmakers. If we can't carry in there then I don't think they should be able to either. And if they don't want to allow me to exercise my liberty to open carry I don't see why anyone should be worried about the Nazi's in the capitol.

My feelings exactly.

tagillespie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see OK2A currently supports HB1647 as open carry legislation. I sure hope that's a typo, because that means they give a preference to placing a burden on the citizen to articulate "reasonable fear of great bodily harm" over merely expanding the concealed weapons license to cover all handguns open or concealed. (This is assuming that the bills on their website are not in numerical order because they have a certain preference for one bill over another.)

I'm still waiting to find out which bill is the subject of the discharge petition.

I would have responded to your post sooner, but I've not been on here for a while - busy with legislative issues. The reason we used HB1647 was because the author of HB1400 didn't want us to use his bill. It was the closest thing to unlicensed open carry we had. When it goes to the Senate, we will work on amending it to make it better.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope my 19yr doesn't find this out.. :scream: He is a good example why someone under 21 doesn't need to own a firearm, period.. :-(

It is amazing what different personalities can come from the same loins... :disappoin

But ask yourself, baring some life changing event that leads to an enlightening that makes him a safer person in general, what's that magical number 21 really going to do to make him a more responsible person?

I mean, not everyone on the road should be driving, but that's just the way it is. And driving is even a privilege, not a Constitutional, God given right (as the right to bear arms and the right to defend oneself are respectively).

I know a 30 year old who shouldn't have a CCL, but he does. That doesn't mean we should raise the age to 35 and assume that reaching that arbitrary age automatically makes people more responsible.

I don't mean to come off as snarky. I respect your opinion, but I just think it's a slippery slope. An 18 year old going off to war to defend his rights who is then denied certain rights when he comes back? It just sit right with me.

Peacemaker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the issue with this age deal is one that will never be answered in a way to please everyone. I think people mature at different rates and some people never mature. The key is that I think we should shoot for something that is reasonable. I don't know that I have the right answer but I think - "if a person is at an age where he is expected to be on his own, earn his own living, and defend his family from outside harm has a right to protect himself as a citizen" - type of argument holds more water with me than if he's allowed to fight in a war or drink alcohol type of argument. to me, it is about individual liberty and when he is no longer under the legal responsibility of a parent or guardian because no one else is going to be expected to protect that individual's physical well being.

Latest posts

Top Bottom