Open Carry!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Beaver
Beckham
Custer
Blaine
Canadian
Grady
Cotton
Love
Carter
Murray
Pott
Pontotoc
Marshall
Bryan
Atoka
Coal
Pitt
LeFlore
Okfuskee
Muskogee
Cherokee
Adair
Mayes
Nowata
Washington
Pawnee
Payne
Noble
Kay

All "against" according to the report.

So much for the myth of the County Sheriff being America's last best hope for liberty and the ultimate representative of "The People".

Most of them are just as politically motivated and self-serving as our other elected politicians...

okav8tor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been following the conversation here for some time and support the open carry law (SB 1733) however I do see one problem for those of us who carry concealed in pocket holsters. Should our weapons be detected or the holster become partially visible we are not covered under the law since the definition of an unconcealed weapon is ...

“Unconcealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried upon the person in a belt or shoulder holster that is wholly or partially visible, or carried upon the person in a scabbard or case designed for carrying firearms that is wholly or partially visible; and

The definition limits protection to those carrying in a belt or shoulder holster. At least the way I interpret the wording.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It does matter what the Sheriff's think about the new law. One only needs to look at other States where those in power who are against it do everything they can to circumvent the Law. They harass lawful citizens on a regular basis in an attempt to convince the citizens that life would be easier if they would voluntarily give up their rights.

Michael

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
All you people that keep saying things like "cowboys running around" and "bunch of folks at Target carrying guns," did you stop and realize that currently there is only something like 3% of the OK population that have their concealed carry, and of those, how many actually even carry currently daily? Half? Now combine that with the number of people who will open carry. Take the poll here, out of 192 voters, 7 said they will regularly open carry, 150 said "sometimes" - let's take that to mean 10% of the time - that means 15. So out of almost 200 voters, only 22, or barely 10% will open carry. So we're talking less than one half of one percent of the population might open carry.

So, even if every single last open carrier on any given day were to attend an OU football game, the chances are still less than 1 in 10 will be open carrying. So drop the drama and find a logical argument.

1. There is no drama
2. If every open carrier attended an OU football game they would be breaking the law as it is illegal to carry at sporting events. :)
3. You are basing your argument off of some poll that does not constitute a legitimate sample of the target market.
4. You are basing your argument off unsourced data that, if accurate, does not reflect the growing trend. That is, maybe only 3% have it now, but classes are staying full, and applications are flowing in. where will it be in 5-10 years.
5. If only such a small contingent will open carry, why is it such a big deal?
6. Don't assume there will not be a few "das-uber-douche team tactical" dudes that want to look hard and cool and open carry where ever they can. Making people uncomfortable.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against this bill just cautious to inverse reaction from it.
We as Gun nuts, enthusiasts, 2nd amendment-ers, whatever you want to call us are comfortable being around guns. That being said, there are a lot of people that are uncomfortable being around guns. Whether they are are liberal anti-gunners, or people who are neutral, just uncomfortable. There are a lot of people uneducated or ignorant to the ideals and values of an armed society. There are a lot of people who don't mind gun ownership as long as they are not around them. This uncomfortableness may lead property owners to appease their patrons by prohibiting open carry. An uninformed store owner/manager may put a "no weapons" sticker on the door, which would make it against the law to carry concealed or open. I hope I am wrong and you are right, but you cannot dismiss this possible ramification due to a projected percent of the population that may open carry.

Bobrob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It does matter what the Sheriff's think about the new law. One only needs to look at other States where those in power who are against it do everything they can to circumvent the Law. They harass lawful citizens on a regular basis in an attempt to convince the citizens that life would be easier if they would voluntarily give up their rights.

Michael

Exactly!
I see all the "OHNOES" exactly like Bill Mahr, I don't agree with him, I don't listen to him, I don't even like him! Does he have the right to say what he does? yes.

okav8tor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Michael

The only "harassment" the law permits is that a LEO can ask to see your ID and CWL any thing beyond that would be a violation of your civil rights.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:woohoo1: News 7 news story on Open Carry... Stephens County Sheriff is very Pro-open carry. This is a good video to watch.

Stephens County sheriff talks about "open carry"

http://www.kswo.com/global/story.asp?s=18429877

"Governor Mary Fallin has cleared the way to make it easier to spot who is carrying a gun."

Is that why she signed it, Channel 7? Holy crap, some in the state media truly despise this new law. It appears these "journalists" believe that the BGs will now open carry so they can be "spotted" by the sheeple in the general public. What a bunch of tools these talking heads are. The law gives licensed CC holders the "option" to carry openly. It doesn't require everyone who has a gun, legally or illegally, to now openly carry it. Freaking retards in the media make me sick.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
POKE1911 said:
An uninformed store owner/manager may put a "no weapons" sticker on the door, which would make it against the law to carry concealed or open. I hope I am wrong and you are right, but you cannot dismiss this possible ramification due to a projected percent of the population that may open carry.

You are a little off with this last part of your comment. It is not against the law to conceal carry into an establishment that posts a sign. All they can do is ask you to leave. The only places it is against the law are the ones mentioned in the law. Beyond those establishments, a sticker on a door is not law. It's a sticker on a door placed by an owner of a business that has the right to refuse service. That's like saying its against the law to walk into a store with a sign that says, "no shoes, no shirt, no service", this is a policy of the establishment, not law.

Thor20003

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been following the conversation here for some time and support the open carry law (SB 1733) however I do see one problem for those of us who carry concealed in pocket holsters. Should our weapons be detected or the holster become partially visible we are not covered under the law since the definition of an unconcealed weapon is ...

“Unconcealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried upon the person in a belt or shoulder holster that is wholly or partially visible, or carried upon the person in a scabbard or case designed for carrying firearms that is wholly or partially visible; and

The definition limits protection to those carrying in a belt or shoulder holster. At least the way I interpret the wording.

You would be covered by the wording " or carried upon the person in a scabbard or case designed for carrying firearms that is wholly or partially visible;"

Latest posts

Top Bottom