Open Carry!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You sure about that? I thought that was in HB2522, not the SB that passed.
Not saying your wrong, just not sure.

Remember that SB1733 was a legislative cut and paste from HB2522. Pretty sure that was one of the changes. Legislative site seems to be down atm so can't verify.

C

Clay

Remember that SB1733 was a legislative cut and paste from HB2522. Pretty sure that was one of the changes. Legislative site seems to be down atm so can't verify.
Yes, I recall that. I couldnt keep up with all the changes actually but I dont recall that being in this SB. The way I recall it, nothing with the permit process changed other than notification at first opportunity.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
they are only the processors (and even then I use that term loosely) of the application, they don't give the 'go, no-go ' decision...OSBI does that. look at your card, it has the signature of the OSBI director, not any sheriff.

This new law has your license mailed to the applicant. So a Sheriff's office would not be able to "loose" or "not received" the approved license.

Can you check the status of an application online?

They are still involved in the process.

They could still "lose" or "delay" your paperwork.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On Fox's late night show Red Eye, the panelist discussing Oklahoma's open carry law were talking about all the anti-open carry people who claim there will be OK Coral style shootings & 'Blood in the Streets".. they said that was far from the truth.

Two of them said that they knew lots of people with concealed carry permits [including themselves] and had traveled to many open carry states. They argued that gun permits were extremely hard to get in most states, rquired some kind of training, extensive background checks.. and were pretty expensive after you went through the licensing process and invested in a good firearm / holsters / concealment clothing.. so people with gun permits were paranoid about doing anything wrong that could possibly cause the lost of their license. That they even obsessed over not "printing"... so in the case of 'open carry' the truth is the vast majority permit holders will continue to go out of their way to avoid losing their license.... and not be going "Cowboy".

The most liberal guy on the panel, Bill Schultz joked that he thought permit holder's big guns should have little guns of their own! LOL I was surprised that everyone on the panel thought open carry was a good idea.. even if one chose to just conceal carry instead. They didn't think it would work in a City like New York City... but in a State like Oklahoma where things are spread out.. they were all for expanding 2nd amendment rights. Even the woman on the panel thought guns should be allowed on college campuses.

M

Mach1soldier

Does anyone know how the law relates to those with out of state permits? For example, I have a florida concealed carry permit (military reasons I'm in OK) so would I be allowed to open carry since Florida has reciprocity with OK?

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the law relates to those with out of state permits? For example, I have a florida concealed carry permit (military reasons I'm in OK) so would I be allowed to open carry since Florida has reciprocity with OK?

Currently, it will depend on your interpretation of the law. The key phrase is "...allowed to continue to carry a concealed or unconcealed handgun...".

There is some debate about how this should be interpreted. The way I read this is that you are allowed you are allowed to continue to carry a handgun, either concealed or unconcealed so I would answer yes.

Others read it and say no because how can you continue to carry unconcealed if you were never authorized to carry unconcealed by your state in the first place.

okav8tor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Currently, it will depend on your interpretation of the law. The key phrase is "...allowed to continue to carry a concealed or unconcealed handgun...".

There is some debate about how this should be interpreted. The way I read this is that you are allowed you are allowed to continue to carry a handgun, either concealed or unconcealed so I would answer yes.

Others read it and say no because how can you continue to carry unconcealed if you were never authorized to carry unconcealed by your state in the first place.

I would agree that they would be allowed to carry since they are bound by the laws of Oklahoma when carrying in our state.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got a automated update on HB2522... Original title has been restored & CCR submitted... looks like something about allowing State's Atty General & their assistants to carry any where in the state..... except on private property when off duty.. if the property owner objected.

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf/2011-12 SUPPORT DOCUMENTS/SCHEDULED CCR/House/HB2522 CCR B.DOC

Looks like the committee restored HB2522 to mirror SB1733... but added in the Attorney General part. It will probably go the the 2 houses to be passed and then be combined with the changes made by SB1733 into the SDA.

That is the only change I spotted in reading the new version...

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf/2011-12 SUPPORT DOCUMENTS/SCHEDULED CCR/House/HB2522 CCR A.DOC

Latest posts

Top Bottom