Pickled eggs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An East Asian variant to the pickled egg is the soy sauce egg.

Combine soysauce, some rice wine vinegar and sugar. If you want only a light hint of soy sauce and vinegar flavor, a quick way is to heat the soy sauce mixure and simmer the hard boiled eggs in the mixture for a few minutes. This will give a nice cappuccino color on the outside but white and untouched on the inside.

Otherwise you cover the eggs in the soy mixture with garlic cloves and keep it overnight for the same effect. Keeping it longer will allow the soy-vinegar mixture to penetrate deeper into the egg. It takes about a week for the mixture to penetrate all the way into the yolk.

My mom made this and loved it with rice. Also, if you ever had legit ramen, this is the egg they put in your ramen. If they put in a normal hardboiled egg, then they're cutting corners on you!

Here's how the egg looks after only a couple of days in the soy sauce - vinegar mixture. I recommend a few days. It takes about a week to fully penetrate down to the yolk.

soupbelly.com_wp_content_uploads_2011_11_DSC_0015.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
An East Asian variant to the pickled egg is the soy sauce egg.

Combine soysauce, some rice wine vinegar and sugar. If you want only a light hint of soy sauce and vinegar flavor, a quick way is to heat the soy sauce mixure and simmer the hard boiled eggs in the mixture for a few minutes. This will give a nice cappuccino color on the outside but white and untouched on the inside.

These sound good. Can you say how much of each ingredient to use?

Otherwise you cover the eggs in the soy mixture with garlic cloves and keep it overnight for the same effect. Keeping it longer will allow the soy-vinegar mixture to penetrate deeper into the egg. It takes about a week for the mixture to penetrate all the way into the yolk.

My mom made this and loved it with rice. Also, if you ever had legit ramen, this is the egg they put in your ramen. If they put in a normal hardboiled egg, then they're cutting corners on you!

I was introduced to ramen while stationed on Changsan Mountain, overlooking Hyundai Beach/Pusan about 3000' below us in 73.
We had it GI style with the egg like egg drop soup. Onions, peppers, ham, pepper, cooked over a kerosene space heater in operations. I'm interested in the "legit ramen". I miss the eats there, and there is no Korean restaurants around here. Kimchee is one that I don't miss. LOL....
[/COLOR]

Here's how the egg looks after only a couple of days in the soy sauce - vinegar mixture. I recommend a few days. It takes about a week to fully penetrate down to the yolk.

soupbelly.com_wp_content_uploads_2011_11_DSC_0015.jpg

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have done these a few times... mmm good!
the only thing I do dif. is run a toothpick thru the egg to get some of that goodness down deap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom