Possessions; vehicles - irrational

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was awesome! I wish I had the skills to build a car like that.
It is all baby steps. I am so far from being able to set up a chassis to perform like that, but the racing crowd is pretty generous with knowledge if you're a genuine person that shares their passion and there isn't money on the line haha.

It is harder to learn without a car in the garage though, so that is the first step. I have found driving fast cars is the same, it takes a lot of humility and tries to get better and better.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have built a few decent rides in my youth. 74 Camaro with 396, 77 280z and 78 280z to name a few. Turning wrenches stopped being my thing over 20 years ago. I am irrational that I buy way to many. At this stage in my life I want to enjoy my vehicle hence the wandering eye looking for the next one.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But does having all of those cars really make you happy? It’s just stuff. Does having to keep it all from rotting not take away from you life? Why does stuff matter so much? Especially broken down vehicles.

Not vehicles to fix ... BUT ... I have a sewing room. Any man here who's wife does "arts and crafts" stuff knows EXACTLY what I'm talking about. 🤗🤗

For example, @Shadowrider just offered me a spectacular deal on a treadle machine and a White sewing machine that Grumpy wonders where we are gonna find the space for. I'll tell you where -- we are gonna move all that gun and shooting and reloading stuff outta the way 😂😂😂 and put it "right there". 🤗🤗🤗

Eta: Oh ... And I've never seen a cut of fabric ... Or ball of yarn ... Or tube of paint ... I didn't absolutely LOVE ... 💘

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Not vehicles to fix ... BUT ... I have a sewing room. Any man here who's wife does "arts and crafts" stuff knows EXACTLY what I'm talking about. 🤗🤗

For example, @Shadowrider just offered me a spectacular deal on a treadle machine and a White sewing machine that Grumpy wonders where we are gonna find the space for. I'll tell you where -- we are gonna move all that gun and shooting and reloading stuff outta the way 😂😂😂 and put it "right there". 🤗🤗🤗

Eta: Oh ... And I've never seen a cut of fabric ... Or ball of yarn ... Or tube of paint ... I didn't absolutely LOVE ... 💘
yep, my great grandpa had his pile of tires, a shop full of tools, machinery, and bits, a couple pastures full of cows, ostriches, and emus, and my great grandma had her sewing room.

nothing was ever thrown away. if it could burn, it got burned. that was it lol.

Jeff Munson

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2000 pontiac firehawk and its pretty attached to me. I dont ever see me selling it. Currently fighting a dam check engine light on my beater 2010 hyundai accent. It has a very random cyl 2 &3 missfire for the past month or two. Yesterday it seemed to fix itself by the dash CEL burning out LOL. Problem solved for now!

Plus a whole back room that shares the bang bangs and RC Car collection.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
It is all baby steps. I am so far from being able to set up a chassis to perform like that, but the racing crowd is pretty generous with knowledge if you're a genuine person that shares their passion and there isn't money on the line haha.

It is harder to learn without a car in the garage though, so that is the first step. I have found driving fast cars is the same, it takes a lot of humility and tries to get better and better.
i just race in vr. it's a helluva lot cheaper and sometimes my dumb brain can barely tell the difference.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i just race in vr. it's a helluva lot cheaper and sometimes my dumb brain can barely tell the difference.
Haha, my obsession is the build not the racing. Something about getting all the components of the machine to operate at as high of a level as possible while working in harmony with each other. The downside is anything short of ridiculous power, well over 1000hp, with everything working with each other makes for a very predictable and boring ride. It is a never ending cycle, but man it does feel rewarding to have taken a car down to its bones and redone all of it from drivetrain, suspension, brakes to wiring harness, some creature comforts, etc. Just buying something doesnt make it feel like mine.

I just use the race as a quantifier of the build. You are right, it would be a lot cheaper though.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Haha, my obsession is the build not the racing. Something about getting all the components of the machine to operate at as high of a level as possible while working in harmony with each other. The downside is anything short of ridiculous power, well over 1000hp, with everything working with each other makes for a very predictable and boring ride. It is a never ending cycle, but man it does feel rewarding to have taken a car down to its bones and redone all of it from drivetrain, suspension, brakes to wiring harness, some creature comforts, etc. Just buying something doesnt make it feel like mine.

I just use the race as a quantifier of the build. You are right, it would be a lot cheaper though.
to my knowledge there isn't a "turn the wrenches yourself, THEN drive the car" sim yet.

i think both exist, but not sure they've been combined. i don't pay for vr racing leagues tho because you just pay to get wrecked lol. i guess probably not all that much different than real world, i know guys who take their 911 gt3's on the track but won't push them as hard as some guy in his ls miata because of the price difference lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom