Primary choice of home defense weapon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primary weapon for home defense?

• Pistol (9mm and smaller)

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • Pistol (357Sig and larger)

Votes: 55 22.2%
  • Shotgun (any action)

Votes: 86 34.7%
  • Rifle (so-called "assault", AR15, semi-auto)

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Rifle (bolt,single shot, other action)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Depends on situtation

Votes: 37 14.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 3.2%

• Total voters

BangBangJamDang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, if they get passed the concertina wire and claymores and the specially trained attack rabbits then they will have deal with the Daisy Red Rider.
I'll shoot your eye out kid!

The Daisy Red Rider would be a good option being a single pump. The box that came with my Crossman Classic suggests a good 5-10 pumps, which would be a bit too much in a high stress home invasion.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first one I would go for depends somewhat on where I am in the house when it is needed, but I read the question as being what your first choice would be.

I think an AR-15 carbine in 5.56 is the best home defense weapon you can get. Low barrier penetration, great wounding capability, low recoil, good mag capacity, ease of mounting optics/lights, and great handling characteristics add up to an ideal weapon for that role. A shotgun is good too, but the spread is not nearly as much of an advantage as most people think it is at the distances normally seen in HD shootings. The 5.56 is faster on follow up shots and is quicker to reload, though its higher capacity means it is very unlikely that you would have to reload. The common defensive shotgun loads do tend to penetrate barriers worse than a 5.56. A nice, trim AR will be lighter and shorter than most defensive shotguns. The shotgun will normally have at least an 18" barrel, while a 16" is common on the rifle.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have my pistol to fight to my AR, and the AR to fight to the 870. Those are all within 20ft of my bed. First to are arms reach and just out of arms reach. If I had one I think my best bet would be my AR due to the long barrel on my 870.

101ABN327

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The go to situation adjudicator is my 870...

www.hunt101.com_data_500_medium_100_0463.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom