Progressives Seek To Ban Private Schools And Homeschooling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was that way. I quit reading books when the public school no longer allowed students to checkout books more than two grade levels above theirs. Then they went from jumping straight into new math each year to spending the first 10 weeks reviewing basics like addition and subtraction. And then they dumbed down the "accelerated" programs so that certain groups could have better credentials on college applications. So I quit "applying myself" at school and opted to complete high school in 3 years instead of 4 with minimal extra effort. The I dropped out of college after a semester because the coursework wasn't stimulating.

Just sayin'

Veggie, I am with you there. I made Cs in school, Cs in college without even going to class. Seriously, I just didn't go, never bought books, just took the tests and made Cs. I was bored. Why apply yourself if you could pass without the effort.

For the record- I fully support the right to home school, 100%. I just don't think it is for everybody.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Veggie, I am with you there. I made Cs in school, Cs in college without even going to class. Seriously, I just didn't go, never bought books, just took the tests and made Cs. I was bored. Why apply yourself if you could pass without the effort.

For the record- I fully support the right to home school, 100%. I just don't think it is for everybody.

I at least turned in a couple of pieces of homework per semester per class so that I could barely make a B-average and graduate "with honors".

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I won't home school my kids, but I won't tell anyone else they can't. Personally, everyone I have ever met who was home schooled were incredibly book smart, but very socially awkward. They don't know how to deal with other people, not just the jerks, but just other people in general. They are all very naive about the world and get upset easily if things do not go exactly their way. They are also all very self absorbed. They were the center of attention in their homes for years growing up. But that is just the 8 or so whom I have dealt with.

There is more to education than academic knowledge. One of the goals of education is to prepare students for the workforce, further education, and independent living. I feel that if kids do not get away from their parents, it's harder for them to discover their own identity and *GASP* form their own opinions and beliefs regarding social, political, or religious issues. If they are not around other students, they can be awkward around co-workers later or not learn that other people have needs and feelings just like them. It can be hard for some of them to realize that they are not special and the world does not revolve around them.

I'm also curious what credentials parents are required to have to home school. I honestly do not know. I am currently in school to become a teacher and what I find the most important is the abundance of courses I have taken on methods of teaching. There's a lot more to it than people think. You don't have to know the content by heart. That's why we have books. But knowing strategies and methods for getting the content to stick with students is a complicated matter.

I think you will see a change in public schools in the coming years with the implementation of Common Core Curriculum. Teachers are being held accountable and are required to go further and use more effective methods. For instance, a test question in American History will go from "What year did Teddy Roosevelt become President? A,B,C or D?" to "It has been said that Teddy Roosevelt was the first progressive president. Do you believe this is true? Why or why not? Name some of his policies that could be considered progressive or not progressive to make your case. One page." One gives them a memorized number, the new one gives them an understanding of a presidency.

Again, I wouldn't take it away from anyone, but I see problems with it.

GForce89

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In this day and age why would you NOT want to homeschool your children? Public schools are institutions of indoctrination and degeneracy. The quality of education is improved somewhat at a private school but degenerate peers are still around. With homeschooling you can teach your kids things they actually will need to know, you can surround yourself with other like minded parents, and you will know at all times where your children are. Pervert teachers are becoming more frequent as well.

Take it from me, as someone who went to public schools K-12, don't send your children to a public school!

Some people simply cannot afford to home school their children.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gotta agree with BuickFreak some what...
I've seen far to many home school kids that have zero social skills. Kids that don't do well once on their own or in college. Especially when it comes to athletics. Now I've seen some that are great all around as well, but it doesn't seem to be the norm. Two of my nieces (in different homes) are home schooled, I love them to death but they are just plain weird... Both of them
My brother works with kids in athletics (baseball), he has mentioned the same when we've had conversation about what we are going to do with my boy when he starts school. He says most the home school kids don't seem to know how to act in group settings or work well around others (teams).
That being said, hey they are your kids and I support everyone's decision on how they want to educate their own. I think we should have the options to teach them how we see fit, be public, private, homes school etc!

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A few people on the forum may know this but after my sophomore year of high school I left public school and home schooled myself.

I went from a straight D student barely squeaking by having to take night classes to make sure that I was going to have all my credits to graduate. To getting 90%+ on all of my weekly tests at the testing center. I used a christian school curriculum but taught myself out of the books and in the mornings I went to central vo-tech for industrial electronics getting credits for my electrical engineering degree.

Home schooling saved my life, flat out no exceptions I would have been a drug addict running from my problems if I stayed in public school, I had maybe 1 or 2 friends that I spoke to on a daily basis but thats it. After leaving public school I met other home school kids at tech and had a group of friends that I couldn't hardly keep up with what was going on with everyone, my social skills grew exponentially because of it.

Had I not enrolled in vo-tech I'd probably still be a social recluse that didn't do well speaking in groups but that would have been better than destroying myself because of the depression high school was causing.

The long and short of it is that some of our public school systems are designed to run the cattle through and start on the next batch, I don't think I learned anything in public school after 5th grade. All of my knowledge was from the discovery channel or wikipedia.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hold some of my highest values so sacrosanct that I absolutely refuse to allow them to be tainted by the loutish, common vulgarity of the government or "society." My relationship with the woman I love is one such thing. That is why I refuse to ask the government's permission to form a lifelong relationship with her. We do not have kids yet, but when we do, I know I will value them in the same way.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our daughter is only 15 months old but it was decided before she was born that she will never set foot in a government school. We are going private school all the way, even though Edmond has some of the best schools in the state.

Latest posts

Top Bottom