Proposed change to Classified Rules

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should the minimum number of posts to access the Classifieds be raised?

• Yes, it should be raised to 100.

Votes: 151 63.2%
  • No, JB, leave it alone.

Votes: 88 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

daniel1daniel2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would go with a longer time limit rather than amount of posts When I am at college (free high speed internet) I spend hours on here every day but very seldom post on something unless someone has not already stated my opinion. My other opinion is it should not affect current members.

midman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very interested to here a response for this as well
JB, I did a couple of quick searches and read several pages but maybe I missed it. What's the objective of this exercise?

Is to stop users who are charging more than they paid for an item? The classifieds have several established (by count and join date) members charging current market value for their items. $41 for PMAGs - joined in '08 with 16k posts. $600 for 1k .223 - joined '09 with 3600 posts. There are many more examples. I don't mind too much because no one is forcing me to buy those items and none of us know what the value will be in the coming months.

Is it to stop people from shopping locally if you don't join in conversations? As it was said before, this "community" isn't exactly welcoming to conversation. I see the pointless flaming for the sake of flaming that goes on here all the time by very established members. Every person I've met from here has been impressively enjoyable to talk to and be around. But I have had enough posts get ripped for no reason beyond schoolyard "You don't agree with me you must be stupid" logic. The general forum is rife with butthurt, epic and flaming threads to the point that it seems some people take pride in it. Is that the mentality of this "community"?

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not keen on charging anyone but licensed FFLs and people in actual businesses anything for the classifieds.

I think the length of time suggestion is the best so far.

Leave classifieds visible, searchable, and readable by all.
New members 90 days membership till posting in classifieds.

That way if a newbie wants to buy they can pm the seller, then it is the seller's responsibility to do the due dilligence.

It prevents people from joining just to sell in the classifieds. But allows those who found the site by searching for an item to have the option of buying from a member and they can join the community.

I post a lot of bullstuff on here and probably have irritated more than a few people but this really is a community, when I had trouble in my life more than one person on here spoke up and offered me support and encouragement that were either total strangers or in one instance a member who I had a confrontation or two with in the past in threads.

Johnny come lately joiners that just want to take advantage of market conditions as sellers have gunbroker and armslist they can go to.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Leave classifieds visible, searchable, and readable by all.
New members 90 days membership till posting in classifieds.

That way if a newbie wants to buy they can pm the seller, then it is the seller's responsibility to do the due dilligence.

It prevents people from joining just to sell in the classifieds. But allows those who found the site by searching for an item to have the option of buying from a member and they can join the community.

I post a lot of bullstuff on here and probably have irritated more than a few people but this really is a community, when I had trouble in my life more than one person on here spoke up and offered me support and encouragement that were either total strangers or in one instance a member who I had a confrontation or two with in the past in threads.

Johnny come lately joiners that just want to take advantage of market conditions as sellers have gunbroker and armslist they can go to.

It's good to have the old BP back!!!

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
JB, I did a couple of quick searches and read several pages but maybe I missed it. What's the objective of this exercise?

With the ammo and gun run, I've received many requests to do something to deal with folks who seem to be here only for the classifieds.

Is to stop users who are charging more than they paid for an item? The classifieds have several established (by count and join date) members charging current market value for their items. $41 for PMAGs - joined in '08 with 16k posts. $600 for 1k .223 - joined '09 with 3600 posts. There are many more examples. I don't mind too much because no one is forcing me to buy those items and none of us know what the value will be in the coming months.

I have no problem with someone making a profit. Additionally, the mods and I have debated what exactly we can do to be as fair as possible and balance protecting members with not intruding on the free market. It's extremely difficult.

Is it to stop people from shopping locally if you don't join in conversations? As it was said before, this "community" isn't exactly welcoming to conversation. I see the pointless flaming for the sake of flaming that goes on here all the time by very established members. Every person I've met from here has been impressively enjoyable to talk to and be around. But I have had enough posts get ripped for no reason beyond schoolyard "You don't agree with me you must be stupid" logic. The general forum is rife with butthurt, epic and flaming threads to the point that it seems some people take pride in it. Is that the mentality of this "community"?

Some members are more chatty than others. I don't want to penalize anyone simply because they don't talk a lot. The whole idea of the classifieds is a convenience for the members. I, and the web site, do not make any money whatsoever from members trading and selling with members. The only people being charged anything are sponsors who either have an FFL, a gun related business, or a business which derives some income from being on this site.

As for the negative attitudes you described, I hope that they are somewhat diminishing. The difficult thing about the internet is that there is no tone, no inflection, no facial expressions, etc., from which to glean the actual way in which something was posted. In other words, it is sometimes difficult to determine the intended tone of a post, which can effect the response of a reader.

However, many times there is no mistaking the DB tone in which some people respond. Hopefully, that will continue to change. Certainly, the intention is to be as welcoming and inclusive as possible. Despite political differences, we share a love of guns, the Consitution and our country. We want to be able to enjoy our shooting sports (including hunting) and protect our families. These similarities trump any differences of opinion on social issues such as gay rights, abortion, etc.

dx3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Member for >90 days and >25 posts prior to selling in classifieds, access to read classifieds any time.

(sorry if someone else said this, just got bored reading after the 7th page!)

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Torch Red Tulsan said,
As it was said before, this "community" isn't exactly welcoming to conversation. I see the pointless flaming for the sake of flaming that goes on here all the time by very established members. Every person I've met from here has been impressively enjoyable to talk to and be around. But I have had enough posts get ripped for no reason beyond schoolyard "You don't agree with me you must be stupid" logic. The general forum is rife with butthurt, epic and flaming threads to the point that it seems some people take pride in it. Is that the mentality of this "community"?

peanut said,
I LOVE THIS PLACE! Thank you for this.

Last edited:

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was pretty well said, peanut.

Anyway, I don't think any more great ideas are gonna come forth other than those who have already posted. Since you're gonna try to get a membership push started tomorrow at the gun show, I suggest you make a decision and have it in hand then.

By the way, the poll is about 65-35 for a 100 post requirement. However, many of those who voted "Yes" didn't actually say the same thing in their comments. Many said go for 60 or 90 posts; many said require a longer membership period; some said charge a membership fee, etc. If you weed all that out, you may find the "No's" have it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom