Proposed change to Classified Rules

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should the minimum number of posts to access the Classifieds be raised?

• Yes, it should be raised to 100.

Votes: 151 63.2%
  • No, JB, leave it alone.

Votes: 88 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the two-fold approach: the 'time-served' approach
AND
the ratio of classified posts versus other forum posts must not exceed x%.
(This would either increase community posts - or at least reduce the classified 'bumps' for the 37th time. haha)

I think new members should be able to see the classifieds. That's how I first found this place.
I first came for the classifieds, but stayed for the general discussions and the sense of community.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Length of time to post in classifieds. If a seller wants to do business with a newbie thats their choice. I found OSA doing a for sale search. I've done the pay site thing. Not a fan of it, the perks were minimal the members only sections were always as quite as a tombstone because all of us that paid to support the site wound up in the public areas anyway. And the whole pay to play thing wound up costing that site traffic, those who did not pay were spammed with sales banners including site banners advertising that if you paid no more banners fairly agressively as well.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not keen on charging anyone but licensed FFLs and people in actual businesses anything for the classifieds.

I think the length of time suggestion is the best so far.

mbear53

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think time of membership would be a better solution. A person can get 20 posts today if they want to, but may not be worth the wait for membership to them.

Torch Red Tulsan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
JB, I did a couple of quick searches and read several pages but maybe I missed it. What's the objective of this exercise?

Is to stop users who are charging more than they paid for an item? The classifieds have several established (by count and join date) members charging current market value for their items. $41 for PMAGs - joined in '08 with 16k posts. $600 for 1k .223 - joined '09 with 3600 posts. There are many more examples. I don't mind too much because no one is forcing me to buy those items and none of us know what the value will be in the coming months.

Is it to stop people from shopping locally if you don't join in conversations? As it was said before, this "community" isn't exactly welcoming to conversation. I see the pointless flaming for the sake of flaming that goes on here all the time by very established members. Every person I've met from here has been impressively enjoyable to talk to and be around. But I have had enough posts get ripped for no reason beyond schoolyard "You don't agree with me you must be stupid" logic. The general forum is rife with butthurt, epic and flaming threads to the point that it seems some people take pride in it. Is that the mentality of this "community"?

Latest posts

Top Bottom