Purchasing parts from PSA for Lego assembley

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDeath

Marksman
Reaction score
Are you having a problem every 60 rounds fired or the first round of a specific magazine?

I have a Nikon on qd medium height rings I think. It just clears the rear flip up sight.
I have Vortex on a few others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. thats the first thing I did with it was clean and lube it. Used CLP and let it soak in for a few minutes. Cleaned and wiped it off then reapplied some CLP for lube.

What scope did you get? Ive been researching scopes and I see theres a Vortex 3-9 over at Lawton Academy. What kind of rings? i see individual rrings and mounts. I was thiking of getting that with mount if I can find one cheap enough

Vortex makes nice glass. You can go from mild to wild on price.
As far as rings and a base keep in mind that the AR platform has a straight stock vs a dropped stock on a bolt gun so the rings need to be higher so one can get a proper cheek weld and sight picture through the scope.
I'm a huge fan of the Cantilevered scope mounts designed for the AR. They are the right heights and are machined as one piece so there is less chance of getting one that is overbored, etc.
The cantilevered mounts also move the scope forward for easier access to the charging handle. If you still have issues getting to the charging handle you will need to buy an extended charging handle.
Now I think your seeing why we recommend building one from scratch. Your going to be accumulating parts you don't need anymore, and spending money on the parts you do. If one starts out with some planning of what they have in mind, it's a much easier process to build a complete rifle that fits the individuals personal needs.

opplanet-rock-river-arms-ar0131t-30mm-base-highrise-for-rifle-barrel-cantilever-black.jpg

Truckdriver

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Vortex makes nice glass. You can go from mild to wild on price.
As far as rings and a base keep in mind that the AR platform has a straight stock vs a dropped stock on a bolt gun so the rings need to be higher so one can get a proper cheek weld and sight picture through the scope.
I'm a huge fan of the Cantilevered scope mounts designed for the AR. They are the right heights and are machined as one piece so there is less chance of getting one that is overbored, etc.
The cantilevered mounts also move the scope forward for easier access to the charging handle. If you still have issues getting to the charging handle you will need to buy an extended charging handle.
Now I think your seeing why we recommend building one from scratch. Your going to be accumulating parts you don't need anymore, and spending money on the parts you do. If one starts out with some planning of what they have in mind, it's a much easier process to build a complete rifle that fits the individuals personal needs.

opplanet-rock-river-arms-ar0131t-30mm-base-highrise-for-rifle-barrel-cantilever-black.jpg
I ran up to OKC and picked up a Burris AR-P.E.P.R mount and a Vortex Crossfire II Scope. The Burris isnt quite as raised as the cantilevered mount you showed but it still works. This pic is just a rough build, not centered in or anything. Gotta see if the lgs has a bore sight tomorrow so I can get it dialed in...If I dont swap out the uppers. I do think I'll need to adjust the scope as it does hang a bit too far over the charging handle.
20200514_232702.jpg

You're right that planning out a build from scratch is better than just tossing together parts as needed is a better way. I just get confused as to which parts are good, bad or just plain unnecessary.

Theres so many options that everything just blends into noise. I think, in the back of my head, thats the reason I bought the Sport II after already speccing out the PSA and going ahead with the purchase. Now, no matter what, I will have 2 complete rifles to mix and match. And even if I purchase something I dont need now, with the modularity of the AR platform, I know I can use it down the road on a future build.

I'm not building these for any specific chore. If anything, I'd like to give a shot at hog hunting once I get a better understanding of what's possible with these rifles. Not really certain that 5.56 is a proper hog hunting round but learning how to build a rifle will help in the future when speccing out and building a true hunting rifle.

Are you having a problem every 60 rounds fired or the first round of a specific magazine?

I have a Nikon on qd medium height rings I think. It just clears the rear flip up sight.
I have Vortex on a few others.

I haven't put enough rounds through it to see if theres a pattern. I just noticed the 3 FTF happened on the 1st 3 rounds of the 3rd mag. Just thought it unusual to have 3 in short succession like that. Just making note.

Attachments

• 20200514_232702.jpg
    20200514_232702.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 112

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Hack saw and some file work with a finish of some sandpaper and a black magic marker converts a front post sight to a low profile gas block on the cheap if anybody is looking to save a buck.
I’ve done a few like this. It’s easy, free and a fun little job actually. I take the sight off(tapered pins pushed from left to right) cut the top of the sight off with a dremel. Then I do a nice rounded roll on a bench sander. A touch of cold blue and it looks like a factory job.

Truckdriver

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Range report: Just got back from the range. Ran the rifle in its original configuration except for the stock. Put 180 rounds through it with 0 issues. Ran Hornady Frontier .223. Nice and smooth firing.

The trigger is smoother than the Sport II. It has a heavier pull then I'd like, I think. Still might upgrade it in the future.

Looked at the brass. No dents, dings or other irregularities. Ejection was about "4 o'clock" which I think means its gassed right. Didn't feel much gas in the face, but then again, it was pretty breezy.

Scope needs serious adjustment. Hard to sight it in on a windy day using steel plates. Unfortunately theres no way I'm aware of to hang paper on the range...but then again, I never asked.

I definitely need a sling. Unfortunately there were none in stock at the range store. They are on order but no idea when they'll come in.

All in all, I'm happy with it.

Truckdriver

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
JP Spring kit can be had for cheap and lighten up a stock trigger. Did you lower have the Enhanced polished tigger or stock group? The enhanced is a silver color the regular is black. Either way that spring kit can help make life better for cheap.
https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.3_spring.php

It's got the EPT. I've seen others talking about Timney and Rise Armaments. That spring kit looks like it might be a cheaper way to go. Thanks for the link!

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's got the EPT. I've seen others talking about Timney and Rise Armaments. That spring kit looks like it might be a cheaper way to go. Thanks for the link!
I have an ept in a rifle and with the jp reduced spring kit it breaks at 4# and has a bit of creep compared to a Rise but its still a good option for the money.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Range report: Just got back from the range. Ran the rifle in its original configuration except for the stock. Put 180 rounds through it with 0 issues. Ran Hornady Frontier .223. Nice and smooth firing.

The trigger is smoother than the Sport II. It has a heavier pull then I'd like, I think. Still might upgrade it in the future.

Looked at the brass. No dents, dings or other irregularities. Ejection was about "4 o'clock" which I think means its gassed right. Didn't feel much gas in the face, but then again, it was pretty breezy.

Scope needs serious adjustment. Hard to sight it in on a windy day using steel plates. Unfortunately theres no way I'm aware of to hang paper on the range...but then again, I never asked.

I definitely need a sling. Unfortunately there were none in stock at the range store. They are on order but no idea when they'll come in.

All in all, I'm happy with it.

Did you try boresighting it first?

Latest posts

Top Bottom