Question for the Artillery Aficionados

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It was heartbreaking to see the outdoor displayed aircraft and helicopters get trashed in the hail storms in 2010. I work fairly close to the museum and often drive by it on my way to grab some lunch. All the plexiglass, and many thin aluminum panels on their bird dog were destroyed. Especially hard hit were the Plexiglas canopies on the OH13 and OH23 that they have.

The repaired pieces are back on display after a very extensive and expensive refurbish, and the paint looks good from a distance and the darker colors are much better than the white they were before. I can remember going to the museum as a young man and seeing them all before they were painted. you could still see inside. I remember being shocked at the fact that all the instrument and controls were missing. As an adult I, now know why.

It's a very cool museum that is more than worthy of a donation if you visit. they work miracles with a very tiny budget. and refurbishment of the outdoor displays is very very costly.

Also of note is the firefighters museum up the street which is very cool and worth the time to go through as well.

IreneKennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Way back in the early 60's at Fort Sill was still some towed 8" guns. The second photo looks like the undercarriage of the towed. IIRC, a ten ton truck was required to pull the big gun and if a limber was used, then a five ton truck could be used. Seems like mid 60's the SP (self propelled) had retired the bigger towed guns, which left the 105's towed. However, since this is OSA, I could be wrong

Latest posts

Top Bottom