Rancher in Nevada being harassed by the FEDS and confiscating his cattle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd rather he pay Nevada than the federal government. I haven't seen a single legitimate reason for the feds "owning" 80% of the land mass in a single state. :(
I agree.

I guess it originally became federal land because federal troops kicked the **** out of Mexican troops and won it by force of arms.
At that point every square foot of it was federal land I imagine.

Upon statehood the feds released about 15% of it and kept the other 85%
It should have been the other way around.

The federal government should have released most of that land to the state.
I'm hopeful they state efforts will be successful.

As of now though, they haven't done so.

I will say though, when someone tells me that "it's state land" and what they really mean is "it should be state land" it makes me less sympathetic to their cause because I prefer a straight answer.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As as part of the public its ok way with me .... as long as he pays the state of nevada grazing fee and spends his income at home

I'd rather he pay Nevada than the federal government. I haven't seen a single legitimate reason for the feds "owning" 80% of the land mass in a single state. :(

I'd rather he pay Nevada or the county too. But I haven't seen a shred of evidence that this is, or ever was, Nevada/Clark County land (Here's an even crazier idea...maybe if he wants to be free(er) from interference, he could buy his own land to graze his cattle on?).

Is there an existing dispute over ownership of the land, and a paper trail of ownership and/or court challenges? (separate from Bundy's grazing court challenges)

Cliven Bundy doesn't get to declare who owns the land. If it is, or should be, Nevada state land then I'd expect to see a majority of the population of Nevada standing up for it....starting with the Governor. Has the Governor or any state official spelled out a claim to the land?

Last edited:

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seem to remember an article that he had in fact tried to pay the grazing fees but can't find anyone to take them.

Apparently once the land was reclassified as "desert tortoise preserve" they, we? stopped taking his money.

As to the "millions" in fees, if the article is accurate it's 1.35 per head, reportedly 900 head, so 1,215 a year. What about 24,300? I think it mentioned he thought it was about 300K so obviously there are other charges not yet fully addressed.

Still, a lot less than operating 8 helicopters with associated support, paying the government wranglers 1M to round up 400 head, not to mention all the OT for the guys deployed in support.....

Aren't there legal definitions concerning access and use to property that is used in a particular fashion for a period of time with out challenge? Wouldn't they apply here?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree.

I guess it originally became federal land because federal troops kicked the **** out of Mexican troops and won it by force of arms.
At that point every square foot of it was federal land I imagine.

Upon statehood the feds released about 15% of it and kept the other 85%
It should have been the other way around.

The federal government should have released most of that land to the state.
I'm hopeful they state efforts will be successful.

As of now though, they haven't done so.

I will say though, when someone tells me that "it's state land" and what they really mean is "it should be state land" it makes me less sympathetic to their cause because I prefer a straight answer.

I'd rather he pay Nevada or the county too. But I haven't seen a shred of evidence that this is, or ever was, Nevada/Clark County land (Here's an even crazier idea...maybe if he wants to be free(er) from interference, he could buy his own land to graze his cattle on?).

Is there an existing dispute over ownership of the land, and a paper trail of ownership and/or court challenges? (separate from Bundy's grazing court challenges)

Cliven Bundy doesn't get to declare who owns the land. If it is, or should be, Nevada state land then I'd expect to see a majority of the population of Nevada standing up for it....starting with the Governor. Has the Governor or any state official spelled out a claim to the land?

For me, the verdict is in:

http://lands.nv.gov/forms/chapter1.pdf

The feds own it, pure and simple. Their agreement predates the Bundy family claim by a fair margin. That Congress essentially paid Nevada for it with a handful of beads (statehood ratification) in 1864? Seems legit! :uhh:

Here's a somewhat comprehensive piece. Where the EFF has our media been? This looks like somebody did at least some research. The Brits? Jeez that's gotta be embarrassing to our media...

Clicky

For the American media to be embarrassed, it would have to be aware of how utterly incompetent it's become. It's painfully obvious that they're blissfully unaware of this fact. :(

I seem to remember an article that he had in fact tried to pay the grazing fees but can't find anyone to take them.

Apparently once the land was reclassified as "desert tortoise preserve" they, we? stopped taking his money.

As to the "millions" in fees, if the article is accurate it's 1.35 per head, reportedly 900 head, so 1,215 a year. What about 24,300? I think it mentioned he thought it was about 300K so obviously there are other charges not yet fully addressed.

Still, a lot less than operating 8 helicopters with associated support, paying the government wranglers 1M to round up 400 head, not to mention all the OT for the guys deployed in support.....

Aren't there legal definitions concerning access and use to property that is used in a particular fashion for a period of time with out challenge? Wouldn't they apply here?

Yes. Essentially, Bundy is outside the terms of use. The terms changed without his consultation or any redress, therefore he claims them invalid and refuses to comply. It appears from my research that the State of Nevada, Clark County and the feds are in agreement on all these issues. The BLM used the grazing fees they collected not to protect a tortoise or maintain the lands, but to buy out the range leases of all the other ranchers in the area. Bundy refused and held out. Call it ancestral rights or freedom or whatever else you want, he didn't accept the terms of a contract to which he had no say to.

It seems painfully obvious that this has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with a tortoise. It has to do with removing ranching from the area, and someone with power at some point will benefit from that action. There's no way in hell the feds would wait 20 years to do something to protect an endangered species from an imminent threat. :(

The Cow Exploder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
nevada.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom