"Real ID" for flying ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do believe your right to travel, inside the borders of the USA, is constitutionally protected under your fourth article. RealID and the requirement of a license could be argued that this is an unconstitutional tax. Wouldn't win or hold up, but that fight would be a fun one to watch. That same section two bit is used to argue for national concealed carry all the time.

I think your right to move around is protected, but the method by which you do it is not (strictly speaking) guaranteed. Again, states can make you pass a test to drive. States are generally not allowed to make you take a test to be allowed to vote.

I believe there are instances where voter ID has been struck down have (in part) dealt with issues around getting ID cards. Working from memory (which could easily be wrong), i think there was a case where having to purchase a state ID card meant that requiring the cards to vote was a burden. But if the state simply issues ID cards then it was not since there was no 'tax' before you were allowed to vote.

HeyEng

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any state who thinks they could successfully challenge this in court would be smacked down...they could simply spit out "commerce clause!" and that would be the end of it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It won’t do you any good as there is no photo on it.

I use my passport card for ID at TSA, I don’t like pulling my DL out because I need it when I get to my destination to rent a car. I recently got Global Entry and that card works too for TSA ID.
Wow, you've been around for a long time! Welcome back!

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My license expires in November . . . I wonder if/when the state actually starts issuing compliant IDs if I'll have to pay again or if it's optional to get the compliant ID and wait until my license expires again.

HeyEng

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My license expires in November . . . I wonder if/when the state actually starts issuing compliant IDs if I'll have to pay again or if it's optional to get the compliant ID and wait until my license expires again.
It's Oklahoma. You will get charged again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom