Recommendation For .22LR Handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I have a S&W M&P 22 Compact that my wife mostly shoots. It was a disaster when I first got it in that about half of the rounds would fail to eject and actually were jammed in the barrel and I had to use a cleaning rod or a wooden dowel that I made to remove the brass from the barrel. I finally got fed up after about a year of taking the gun apart after about half of the rounds to remove the brass and finally sent it back to S&W. The provided pre-paid shipping, turned the gun around in about 3 weeks and did a "repair" on the barrel according to the paperwork. Since then I have not had a single failure of any kind which is completely unusual for the cheap bulk 22lr ammo I am shooting in it. Probably well over a thousand rounds and zero failures with it.

I also bought a Glock 44 when ammo got so high because I have a Glock 19 for my EDC gun and it's the same size as the G19. It fired every round of cheap ammo I put through it with maybe 2 or 3 failures in the first couple of thousand rounds and no problems with magazines or anything else with it. Then I bought some Federal Automatch and it's garbage ! I get at least 2 and sometimes 3 fail to feeds out of every 10 round magazine. It's no big deal to just rack the gun to feed another round, but this is the only ammo I have had with any kind of problem like this in it. I only keep shooting it because it is readily available at my local Walmart and only about 6 cents a round, so I'll put up with the annoyance of having to rack it to get it to fire since I don't use if for anything but target practice.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, I already know I am not going to be much help on modern. Love the old High Standards. Very well made, accurate pieces. ( but my favorite is an old W German revolver that looks like it was drug by a kid on a gravel road. Terrible looking, straight shooting, never failed me yet! Best $25 I have ever spent most likely! )

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a S&W M&P 22 Compact that my wife mostly shoots. It was a disaster when I first got it in that about half of the rounds would fail to eject and actually were jammed in the barrel and I had to use a cleaning rod or a wooden dowel that I made to remove the brass from the barrel. I finally got fed up after about a year of taking the gun apart after about half of the rounds to remove the brass and finally sent it back to S&W. The provided pre-paid shipping, turned the gun around in about 3 weeks and did a "repair" on the barrel according to the paperwork. Since then I have not had a single failure of any kind which is completely unusual for the cheap bulk 22lr ammo I am shooting in it. Probably well over a thousand rounds and zero failures with it.

I also bought a Glock 44 when ammo got so high because I have a Glock 19 for my EDC gun and it's the same size as the G19. It fired every round of cheap ammo I put through it with maybe 2 or 3 failures in the first couple of thousand rounds and no problems with magazines or anything else with it. Then I bought some Federal Automatch and it's garbage ! I get at least 2 and sometimes 3 fail to feeds out of every 10 round magazine. It's no big deal to just rack the gun to feed another round, but this is the only ammo I have had with any kind of problem like this in it. I only keep shooting it because it is readily available at my local Walmart and only about 6 cents a round, so I'll put up with the annoyance of having to rack it to get it to fire since I don't use if for anything but target practice.

My experience with the Federal AutoMatch is that it seems to have a harder rim than normal. In my rifles that strike light I have all kinds of issues. But in the rifles that strike hard I don't have any issues. It works great in all of my bolt actions, but the semi autos are finicky with it.

mavs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
My experience with the Federal AutoMatch is that it seems to have a harder rim than normal. In my rifles that strike light I have all kinds of issues. But in the rifles that strike hard I don't have any issues. It works great in all of my bolt actions, but the semi autos are finicky with it.
I have probably only had 2 or 3 of them fail to fire out of 3 or 4 thousand rounds I have shot recently. That is not the problem and the problem I have with it would never be noticed in a bolt action rifle. Problem is, I don't have a bolt action rifle. It's pretty much garbage for a semi-automatic and the irony of that is that on the box, immediately below the name Auto Match is printed in bold letters, "ideal for seim-autos"

What a load of ****. You would think someone high up in Federal would know it's crap ammo and be smart enough to take that off of the box!

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have probably only had 2 or 3 of them fail to fire out of 3 or 4 thousand rounds I have shot recently. That is not the problem and the problem I have with it would never be noticed in a bolt action rifle. Problem is, I don't have a bolt action rifle. It's pretty much garbage for a semi-automatic and the irony of that is that on the box, immediately below the name Auto Match is printed in bold letters, "ideal for seim-autos"

What a load of ****. You would think someone high up in Federal would know it's crap ammo and be smart enough to take that off of the box!

I somehow misunderstood your issue. I should learn to read I guess.
It is labeled as 1200fps. And in reality it's probably closer to standard velocity than high velocity. Perhaps that is the issue?
I know I get tons of jams with it due to extraction issues in all of my Marlin 60s. I also have the same issue with CCI SV in these rifles too.
Run Mini-mag or Blazer and they are happy all day long.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sooner State Pawn has several Taurus TX22 in stock atm.

1639769202802.png

I looked at the Chiappa when I was there yesterday, but we found it had a broken safety. I believe it's getting sent off for repair.
1639769258063.png

mavs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I somehow misunderstood your issue. I should learn to read I guess.
It is labeled as 1200fps. And in reality it's probably closer to standard velocity than high velocity. Perhaps that is the issue?
I know I get tons of jams with it due to extraction issues in all of my Marlin 60s. I also have the same issue with CCI SV in these rifles too.
Run Mini-mag or Blazer and they are happy all day long.
Yea, but I'm not paying for mini-mag to shoot holes in paper and have not seen any 22lr Blazer for a couple of years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom