Reloading advice for a newbie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want to start reloading for a number of reasons. Number one would be to start dialing in the "right load" for my weapons.
Second would be to hopefully avoid any ammo shortages or "regulations" in the future. Finally my last reason is to have a hobby that I can pass some of the evening downtime being productive as opposed to sitting here mindlessly scrolling on the phone or the PC.

End goals would be to replenish the 400 rounds give or take we are burning through every weekend, as well as building a stockpile of ammo over the next few years.

I have read alot of things stating that this is the worst time to get into reloading. Would you care to elaborate on what exaxtly is making this the worst time to start?

Equipment. and components are at all time high demand. The supply of components is very limited in a generic category. If you want 9mm bullets, you can find them. If you want a particular type, weight, and brand you may be out of luck. Powder that will work in 9mm targeting 1100fps with a 124g bullet? There are several. Most which I will not use. Some of the best is almost impossible to find. Prices are at a premium. Both from the mainstream suppliers when they get them in and from the people grabbing it up and reselling it. Go buy a 1000 federal or CCI small pistol primers for start. I was paying $28-30 per K right at a year ago. I paid $49 from the same supplier 2 weeks ago. I had to get magnum and was limited to 1.

So new reloaders are gathering what they can find and having less than spectacular results.

If history repeats itself, you will be able to get great deals in about 12-18 months. Then you can buy someone’s lightly (or never) used stuff for 50-60 cents on the pre-covid dollar.

I suggest sticking to straight wall pistol to start. Rifle creates several issues that are much harder to learn. Once you master pistol, then move up.

Most answer because they can’t find ammo. Your reasons are better. But look at the long picture and don’t get in a big hurry.

IMG_5322.jpg

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I want to start reloading for a number of reasons. Number one would be to start dialing in the "right load" for my weapons.
Second would be to hopefully avoid any ammo shortages or "regulations" in the future. Finally my last reason is to have a hobby that I can pass some of the evening downtime being productive as opposed to sitting here mindlessly scrolling on the phone or the PC.

End goals would be to replenish the 400 rounds give or take we are burning through every weekend, as well as building a stockpile of ammo over the next few years.

I have read alot of things stating that this is the worst time to get into reloading. Would you care to elaborate on what exaxtly is making this the worst time to start?

Primers are being priced at 3-5 times their worth when you can find any, Powder is hit and miss and projectiles are slim pickings. I shoot a lot of coated lead and all 3 places I order from are at least 10-14 weeks out. Every day I come home and the first thing I do is check the classifieds here, which all the cotton picking retirees generally beat me too the punch the lay about's :cool:, check armslist , gun broker....... Also Gene Sears is an in person thing @swampratt let me know they are not listing items on the webs so they can help us locals. You may want to head out there soon to see if they have any thing you need.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
TOP SECRET! Do not tell anybody!
Garage and Estate sales are your friend.
Keep your ears open.
Stuff like ol' Bert from church croaked last month and he was into shooting.
The Estate sales this weekend.
Maybe if you call Bobbi Sue she'll let you look early.
Or Jimbob's going to jail for drunk drivin'.
His wife's so pissed she'll sell you his whole loadin' setup for $50 bucks.
After all that's what he told her he paid for it.

MrChris

Sniper
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys. I will start keeping my eyes on the classifieds, and reading as much as I can until I am able to acquire what I need at reasonable prices.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started with Rifle a 30-30.
https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-90244-Winchester-Classic/dp/B00162RRNY

Taught me the very basics and made sub MOA ammo from cases I shot from my 30-30.

If you can find lead like old wheel weights or lead pipe or lead flashing or shower pans you can cast your own lead bullets.

That leaves a big chunk of money in your wallet.

I find loading for the 1911 semi auto pistol is the most frustrating.
I hate the feed ramp that pummels the nose of the bullet into the top of the chamber.
Changes my OAL in cast bullet loads.
I suppose very hard cast and good crimp may eliminate that.
I got used to other feed ramps that were a ramp and not a cliff and my bullet would enter almost straight into the chamber.

Some say pistol is easier.
Some handguns may be but not any 1911's that I have loaded for.

Latest posts

Top Bottom