Reloading - Does the bullet really matter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Honady tool as mentioned above works okay and will get you in the ball park but it's better to use a case that's been fired formed in your rifle. When you're measuring in the thousands every little bit counts. Go ahead and split the neck of your fire formed case and try that. If you have a drill press and a tap and die set you can make your own fired formed case comparator to use in the Hornady tool.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with kissing the lands or running reloads that are jammed. Who knows, you may find your groups getting smaller.

What caliber are you reloading, weight/manufacturer of bullet and rifle you're shooting?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just size the case to .001" under bullet diameter and insert bullet and color it with a sharpie and look for marks.
Keep seating longer or shorter until you just get to the point of no rifle land marks on the bullet.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Honady tool as mentioned above works okay and will get you in the ball park but it's better to use a case that's been fired formed in your rifle. When you're measuring in the thousands every little bit counts. Go ahead and split the neck of your fire formed case and try that. If you have a drill press and a tap and die set you can make your own fired formed case comparator to use in the Hornady tool.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with kissing the lands or running reloads that are jammed. Who knows, you may find your groups getting smaller.

What caliber are you reloading, weight/manufacturer of bullet and rifle you're shooting?
My rifle reloading is for plinking / recreational target shooting, and hunting where acceptable accuracy is all that I'm after. I reload for every rifle, pistol, and shotgun that I own (except .22LR of course). I started to make a list for you but decided that's not a good idea for a public internet forum. :)

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yes different bullets can give varied accuracy.
My handloads using 55 grain Nosler varminter bullets can put a single hole group at 100 yards no problem. Using the same recipe and dies which never changed adjustment using 55 grain Hornady bthp will give me 1.5" groups at best.

Rifle used is Savage 11vt shooting from a bi-pod and rear bag.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score

I'm not sure I agree with the fire formed case idea. You would have to insert the case in the exact same position it was in when you fired it, which would be impossible.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree with the fire formed case idea. You would have to insert the case in the exact same position it was in when you fired it, which would be impossible.

Not impossible. A Sharpie can mark the brass and where it is in the chamber as you unload it, then you can reload and put back in the chamber in the same spot.
Is it possible? Yes. Is it stupid and pointless? Absolutely.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Not impossible. A Sharpie can mark the brass and where it is in the chamber as you unload it, then you can reload and put back in the chamber in the same spot.
Is it possible? Yes. Is it stupid and pointless? Absolutely.

My dad did this with his .222 and his .280AI and they were not high dollar builds, and this was before "modern" bullet consistency. The measurements he took in various places on each case to insure consistency, flash hole size, orientation in the press, orientation in the chamber, primer depth, loaded one at a time..........made me want to bang my head sometimes, but he was all about it and I couldn't argue with his results. His pile of "not worthy brass" and "not worthy bullets" was incredible. Fortunately he just gave them to me :) I'm not so sure it was pointless, I'm not sure I ever saw anyone out shoot him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom