Reloading starter kit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good question. I don’t know if a few hundred dollars would get me what I wanted or not.
A few hundred can get you one heck of a setup if your patient. Buddy saw some ad on Craigs list a year ago. Got a Hornady LNL progressive, a dozen sets of dies, shell plates, scales, powder drop and some other accessories for under $200.
A progressive can be used as a single stage until one learns how everything works and you want to go big time ammo reloader and use the progressive features as designed.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few hundred can get you one heck of a setup if your patient. Buddy saw some ad on Craigs list a year ago. Got a Hornady LNL progressive, a dozen sets of dies, shell plates, scales, powder drop and some other accessories for under $200.
A progressive can be used as a single stage until one learns how everything works and you want to go big time ammo reloader and use the progressive features as designed.

luck of the draw certainly comes into play
a few years back I went to purchase engraving tools from a famous engraver from Tulsa area. the widow wanted tools to go an student of the art .. it was quickly determined that was not me. I'm simply a tool nut.

ended up purchasing his entire reloading setup including reloading table with 3x rock chucker and 50+ dies of every imaginable caliber, some I had never heard of. then she loaded me up with powder. wanted them out of the house.

Last edited:

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW! I don't disagree with your premise that you can find money saving deals on used equipment, but in all fairness you can be as patient as you like and probably never see a deal like THAT again. I'd have done that in a heart beat if it was in reasonably decent condition, and I don't even need a press.

But by all means, keep your eyes open, even just on here people occasionally offer very useable presses for a fraction of what a new press would cost.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DO NOT BUY THAT LEE PERFECT POWDER DROPPER. Plastic crap.
It sifts powder out of the sides of the cylinder with every stroke.
Save money and buy a used RCBS Uniflow, or a Hornady Powder or a Lyman dropper or similiar

Edited to say do not buy the Lee

Last edited:

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DO NOT BUY THAT LYMAN PERFECT POWDER DROPPER. Plastic crap.
It sifts powder out of the sides of the cylinder with every stroke.
Save money and buy a used RCBS Uniflow, or a Hornady Powder dropper or similiar
Do you mean the Lee Perfect Powder Measure?
That one is all plastic but the Lyman is metal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom