Remedy For The "Best Hollow Point" Battle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
beast, I don't think anyone here would recommend "pick one and forget it," but rather pick a brand, test it in your gun, if it works, thumbs up. If not, move to a different brand.

What's being recommended is that you don't waste time or money testing the results of said hollow point brand in water or phone books or whathaveyou. The difference in most mainstream brand hollowpoints is negligible compared to everything that happens between "needing" them, and the round expanding in whatever required killing. IE, draw, aim, fire, feed, fire, feed etc, hit/miss, penetration. If all that can be done (and proven under stress), then maybe talking about that extra 0.01" of expansion would be worthwhile.

Then you still have the consideration that X brand may expand violently when it hits open flesh (abdomen area), but not if it hits clothing/bone first, where Y may still expand if it hits bone, but not clothing, or Z may expand with clothing, but not bone, or...

The list can go on and on forever.

Gel or anything else homogeneous (consistent makeup throughout), is only a base point. IE, if it doesn't expand at all in gel, more than likely it won't in flesh either. If it expands violently and penetrates diddly, then likely not a good candidate for SD. Those results are available on the net with some searching.

ultimase

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a side note I've always wondered if utilizing what the local PD/state troopers might be a good idea. In a sense they've done the research for you, and it possible keeps you safe from the urban myth of the use of killer bullets from lawyers.

Anyone know what the local PD carries?

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im looking at some of the pmc starfire rounds they look good in various test I have studied and they are some the most cost vs performance rounds out there it looks like.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you should find out what the ballistics experts have to say about this, but also coroners or medical examiners. Coroners,or medical examiners, probably see the end result of almost every brand or calibre of ammo there is more than anybody.
There was a thread here with these long posts taken from a coroners interview (accounts and viewpoints) about calibre and ammo not too long ago. It was very interesting and extremely eye opening to read what he had to say. Search it out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom